Steelhead fishing (Thanksgiving weekend!)

F
flipper
Hi all -

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a fishery near my area (Eugene, OR) that may hold some steelhead that are available to catch this weekend. I understand steelhead run through our river systems year-round...but was wondering if a specific location would be better at this point of the year? I don't mind travelling, would be willing to drive in excess of 100 miles, if some coastal river is hot/productful right now.

Would love to get into my first steelhead soon!

Thanks for any informative posts in advance :)

R
RunWithSasquatch
;)alseaalumaweld might have an open seat!!!:lol:

R
RunWithSasquatch
On a serious note.... I dont think any such system will be per-say... HOT... but there is always a few of those slipper slime rockets around somewhere...:think:

F
flipper
RunWithSasquatch said:
ooobby!

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
B
bigsteel
RunWithSasquatch said:
:lol::lol::lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
RunWithSasquatch said:

:lol: i bet hates you now

S
SALTYFISH
I guess I missed something...Did something happen to his boat?

B
bran_man
flipper said:
Hi all -

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a fishery near my area (Eugene, OR) that may hold some steelhead that are available to catch this weekend. I understand steelhead run through our river systems year-round...but was wondering if a specific location would be better at this point of the year? I don't mind travelling, would be willing to drive in excess of 100 miles, if some coastal river is hot/productful right now.

Would love to get into my first steelhead soon!

Thanks for any informative posts in advance :)

Not going to give away my spots or anything but the mckenzie around the Leaburg/ greenwood area is still hot. Catch is still consistent and fish are still in great shape. Fresh ones still coming into the system ( not as many fresh ones but the tagged re-runs are just as good) water just went up so hope you have waders if you're a bankie like me. Good luck

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
Not going to give away my spots or anything but the mckenzie around the Leaburg/ greenwood area is still hot. Catch is still consistent and fish are still in great shape. Fresh ones still coming into the system ( not as many fresh ones but the tagged re-runs are just as good) water just went up so hope you have waders if you're a bankie like me. Good luck

Yep! Should be pretty bown out by now. Still worth the shot. Water is cold! dont fall!

P
plumb2fish
Should be a good weekend to hit the Coos Bay area streams. This high water has surely brought in some fresh steel

R
rippin fish lips
plumb2fish said:
Should be a good weekend to hit the Coos Bay area streams. This high water has surely brought in some fresh steel

Thats good to know.i might make my way that way sunday.

B
bran_man
Yeah I know a guy that lives down in coos bay and he said that thanksgiving is when they start catching em down there. Would def be worth trying

A
alseaalumaweld
i hate everone! all the river seem high good day to plunk and drink

J
jawjacker
If I wanted to target winter steel right now I would be running the circuit over there on the Coos no doubt about it. I used to live down there and have caught and seen many pre thanksgiving stragglers chasing the heels of the coho run. That being said I went out to the Leburge dam area last monday & hooked & lost two fish an hour before dark. Dang 6lb. test is not my style but I was still rocking it since the last two times I went out there when the water was low. Usually I bring all my stuff and would have been prepared to up grade but I was in a hury just trying to squeeze a quick trip in. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much water would be too much for a banky to fish up there. Im not talking optimum levels just possible & some what safe is all I need to hear. I have good waders & belt.

R
rippin fish lips
jawjacker said:
If I wanted to target winter steel right now I would be running the circuit over there on the Coos no doubt about it. I used to live down there and have caught and seen many pre thanksgiving stragglers chasing the heels of the coho run. That being said I went out to the Leburge dam area last monday & hooked & lost two fish an hour before dark. Dang 6lb. test is not my style but I was still rocking it since the last two times I went out there when the water was low. Usually I bring all my stuff and would have been prepared to up grade but I was in a hury just trying to squeeze a quick trip in. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much water would be too much for a banky to fish up there. Im not talking optimum levels just possible & some what safe is all I need to hear. I have good waders & belt.

When the water is 2-3 feet higher, it makes it hard to wade/bank up there. The water is soo fasttt

J
jawjacker
When the water is 2-3 feet higher, it makes it hard to wade/bank up there. The water is soo fasttt
Thanks. Ill get out there in the next day or two now that I have a score to settle.