Steelhead and your dogs health-watch it!!

hobster
hobster
So i just got home from the vet and my dog is gonna spend the night there to get i.v's and medication for salmon poising.:( I took him steelie fishing a week and a half or so ago and landed a couple of gorgeous chrome hens. I took em home and cleaned them, always careful to keep the dog away from them because i knew it was bad to let him have raw fish. We smoked some up and i gave him some scraps like an idiot, not knowing it could be harmful. I'm not sure if he got into a tiny piece from the fish i cleaned or if it was the smoked fish, but it turns out smoked steelhead/salmon can be just as bad as raw. The bug usually shows up 7-10 days after he eats it and has shown up as much as 33 days after eating! So look out for this stuff guys, its real and will kill your dog. I just pray he'll be o.k., its wierd not having him around. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
R
rippin fish lips
I will pray for your dog to! And i sure do know that feeling of your dog not ebin around! :( Lost the "lil guy" in my avatar last year, he went through our front window tho :( But any salmon/steelhead cooked or raw will and can give you dog salmonella. They say trout won't, i have fed my dog some trout with no problems. cooked tho.

S
Sokkerboi
That's unfortunate. Thanks for sharing. Wish you the best for your dog!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Both of my dogs have contracted the illness, and both survived. Hydration is a big key to that, and sounds like yours is getting the attention it needs. I bet it pulls through.

hobster
hobster
Thanks for your well wishes everyone and hopefully i can help educate someone else so they don't make the same mistake i did. Sorry about your dog RFL, sure was a cute lil guy.

R
RunWithSasquatch
rippin fish lips said:
salmonella

Salmonella is what you or I would get if we got raw chicken in our burrito.

O
OnTheFly
Sorry about your dog. I've got a 11 month old black lab and I can't imagine life without her. One thing good about it is once a dog recovers from salmon poisoning they'll never get it again.

B
Berg03
I am a veterinary technician and 95/100 times the dog will do great after the fluids. I am sure he will do great! Best of wishes.

A
agapeliving
Yep we almost lost our Lab/Rot mix to salmon poisoning also. I grew up fishing California streams and never once heard not to let dog get to fish. Move here to Oregon and was cleaning some kings and my dog came up and gave one a big lick. Week later he was foaming from the mouth having convulsions and almost died. Scared the heck out of us. We were blessed to have a good vet and only charged us $90 bucks for the overnight stay and treatment. I'm sure he will pull through:)

F
fish4life
I hope your dog is ok, I have fed my dogs left over salmon and steelhead, but it was baked or fried,I don't think smoking it raises it to a high enough temp to destroy the flukes.

C
Coastaldweller
Nanophyetus salmincola is the correct term you're looking for here. None the less, I hope your dog gets better!

R
rippin fish lips
RunWithSasquatch said:
Salmonella is what you or I would get if we got raw chicken in our burrito.

LOL! didn't even catch i put that instead!!

J
jabs67
Sorry about your dog. Hope your dog gets well soon.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sorry about your dog. I had that happen to my dog. I always bury my salmon and steelhead carcasses in my garden and around my fruit trees and he dug one up and got sick. I didn't realize what happened for about three days. We don't usually do vets so I figured he was a gonner. When I realized it was the steelhead he dug up I felt guilty so I took him in and got him some pills and the next day he was great.

I'm sure your dog will be fine since you caught it quickly.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Your dog has become immune or possibly
had it and got over it without you noticing. Once a dog gets sick from eating fish they cannot get sick from it again.

Sinkline said:
Hope your dog gets better!

This is strange to me as I have been feeding my Doxy cooked trout meat for many years with never a problem. In fact, I just gave her cooked trout (no seasoning or oil, just cooked meat) 2-days ago and she is fine. She loves the stuff and would gorge herself on it if I gave her all she wanted! Every year we cook a trout (stocker) in foil on the BBQ when on our family camping trips then pick out the meat only and give it to her.

Randy

D
dtikey
Once a dog gets sick from eating fish they cannot get sick from it again.

I disagree with this because I had a yellow lab that got it twice. First time was on a springer carcass and the second time was steelhead blood.Most of the time only get it once then never again but yes there is chance of more then once.He was given the pills by vet to cure and recovered fine both times so just make sure even if they get it once still keep them away from it.

J
JeannaJigs
My pup was pretty sick last summer and it was attributed to a UTI, but the vet thinks now it was from salmon (in conjunction with a UTI). Last month she got into a rotting salmon carcass when I let her out of the boat, i reached in her mouth and pulled as much out as i could (Which was absolutely disgusting with my bare hands) but she had already swallowed some of it. The vet gave me prophylactic pills and at the first sign of lethargy about 5 days later, I gave them to her, and she's fine now. My vet said they CAN get it again, as there are different strains, but the odds are in her favor that she will not. That said, I have a bottle of pills on hand, and I keep a dose of hydrogen peroxide in my fishing bag in case I catch her eating nasties again so I can induce vomitting immediately, because lets face it, dogs love nasties.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Interesting.....I had always heard different. Thanks for pointing that out.

dtikey said:
Once a dog gets sick from eating fish they cannot get sick from it again.

I disagree with this because I had a yellow lab that got it twice. First time was on a springer carcass and the second time was steelhead blood.Most of the time only get it once then never again but yes there is chance of more then once.He was given the pills by vet to cure and recovered fine both times so just make sure even if they get it once still keep them away from it.

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
Interesting.....I had always heard different. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, the vet said once they get it it is possible to get it again, but the chances are very low. The little dude is gonna be ok and it looks like we'll be able to pick him up at 5 today. I'm so stoked, my kids have gown up with him since they were babies and they were so stressed and worried! He's only 8 and i'm not ready to let him go yet. On another note thanks again everyone for being so cool, you all kick as* and i'm glad i joined this forum! Super cool peeps on here.:D

M
mezzfin
Wow. I had no idea - thanks for sharing.