Start em young

J
john montana
I finally found a good panfish/bass place, just minutes from my house. This is a private farm pond that a few years ago denied me permission, but is now letting me teach the kids to fly fish at their pond. Great little resource! The weather and water are still pretty cold, but there are enough fish in there that we are still able to catch a few. Landed 1/2 dozen crappie, a handful of bluegill and two solid bass today. Great way to teach the kids. They are catching some fish on their own casts, but we are getting the bass when I cast out into the deepest water, then hand the kids their rods. Eli and JJ have just slowly stripped in flies and have done a great job of sticking fish. I can't wait for a little warm weather to really get this pond going!

ff58aea8398a06d9b8d508dc448b9e6a_zps62e5ae46.jpg

a8ebeab9eb884b4650ee174fb4acd0a4_zps3510af05.jpg

54d115d4d62a36ebb79ad3cafbead988_zps0aee9e72.jpg

351c4876304efde49a35d2f4f23f4beb_zps8849f7d2.jpg

F
FlyBum
Nice! :)

C
ChezJfrey
Very nice.

So, what changed the property owner's mind about fishing it? Your charm, good looks, annoying tendency to call them every day, or...as I suspect, you brought your fellow carp-stalker, MMA friend, Mike Pierce, to help 'convince' them ;)

T
Throbbit _Shane
Crappie have some awesome coloration to them, love it! Good for you getting your little ones into fish!

J
john montana
ChezJfrey said:
Very nice.

So, what changed the property owner's mind about fishing it? Your charm, good looks, annoying tendency to call them every day, or...as I suspect, you brought your fellow carp-stalker, MMA friend, Mike Pierce, to help 'convince' them ;)

Hah...nope. The old fashioned way...new ownership!

B
billfisher
Happy kids there! Way to get them into some nice fish.

M
Modest_Man
Both kids already wear nicer fishing clothing than me, ha.

O
OnTheDrop
Modest_Man said:
Both kids already wear nicer fishing clothing than me, ha.

Noticed that too.

Love it! Keep it up.

V
Van
Looks like a great little pond John. I love those kinds of places. No pressure, not a dirty mess like a public pond would be and lots of fish. Looks like your kids are getting a great start. As soon as my son can grasp the concept and mechanics of fly fishing im going to put a fly rod in his hand.

J
john montana
It is a great little pond van. Lucky find a few years ago. Ditto the kids jackets at a sale in San Diego.

W
waco
Way to go John! Those kids are going to be serious fishing machines! Btw you need to tie some flies to put on his empty fly box! Haha :lol: ;)

J
jrbecca
Great photos!!!