SRC in the Siuslaw?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
planning to target SRC more this summer and I have heard is that we should see them moving up the river after the next good rain and especially as we get past 4th of July? First 2 locations I have heard to try are south side just below the bridge and also the mouth of the N. Fork....

anyone familiar with SRC in the Slaw have anything they are willing to share?

PS- heading out tomorrow morning for crab, so I plan on posting an update on that Friday evening (while enjoying a crab dinner!) :D...

cheers, roger

Y
Yogidabear
Src?? code word for ??

J
joem
H
halibuthitman
it doesn't mean Steelhead-Reared-captivaty... boy do I feel dumb;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ha, and someone said this forum was getting boring....

O
OnTheDrop
I've never fished the slaw for SRC's, but further north I have. I've never had that good of success in July or even August but once the fall rains come they are spread out everywhere up river. Granted I have caught them in July and August, September and October have always been good to me when I am bored with Chinook,

Good luck out there, interested to hear a report!

N
n8r1
Do searun hens ever have big enough eggs that you could cure them & use them for steelhead bait?

R
rippin fish lips
n8r1 said:
Do searun hens ever have big enough eggs that you could cure them & use them for steelhead bait?

If you catch one 20" plus or 24" plus, i would say, yes.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
n8r1 said:

according to this report "The Life History Fundamentals of Sea-Run Cutthroat Trout Compiled by John Crocker September 13, 1995":

"Each female sea-run cutthroat trout produces 1,000 to 1,200 eggs on the average. Their eggs are much smaller than the eggs of salmon and steelhead. Larger females produce a greater number of larger eggs, and these become larger alevins, which have size-dependent advantages in growth and survival."

N
n8r1
Thanks guys. I've never kept a SRC anyhow, but I was curious.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
n8r1 said:
Thanks guys. I've never kept a SRC anyhow, but I was curious.

well they are extra tasty good, very mild flavor, nice orange color...similar to Jack coho...

R
rum runner
i have pulled a bunch out of the slaw and lake creek moast were low.. below the fork of lake creek and the slaw i am planning on going out there wed. morning small spinners and 3 inch steelhead worms with sand shrimp smell work wonders

R
rippin fish lips
SRC.s Like RED and GREEN colored stuff.