Spoons ?

V
viper0463
Hey all

I noticed that several of the places that sell spoons only have a few options, like silver, gold, Cooper, half & half, not many have anodized or painted. Why is that? Around here we use all kinds of different colors usually lil Cleo but that's just a brand. I know people will probably say by bill Herzogs book but I would rather spend money on lures and other stuff and just learn by doing. The only thing I just don't really get is why it seems that you guys out west use less colored stuff. Am I missing something?

Thanks

M
Modest_Man
I believe most of the colors and flash on gear is designed to catch fishermen, not fish.

Y
Yogidabear
^^^^^ so true

troutdude
troutdude
Modest_Man said:
I believe most of the colors and flash on gear is designed to catch fishermen, not fish.

DING DING. SPOT ON!

Viper, have you read fellow Oregonian Jed Davis' book: "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout". If you not; it is highly recommended. In short, there really are only 3 - 5 basic colors needed--dependent upon water and environmental factors.

After reading Jed's book in the 80's; I made some of his "all black" spinners. Got 4 monster 'Nooks on the first outing! Capiche?

All of the rest of the crap in the stores, is to hook the buyer...not the fish.

V
viper0463
troutdude said:
DING DING. SPOT ON!

Viper, have you read fellow Oregonian Jed Davis' book: "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout". If you not; it is highly recommended. In short, there really are only 3 - 5 basic colors needed--dependent upon water and environmental factors.

After reading Jed's book in the 80's; I made some of his "all black" spinners. Got 4 monster 'Nooks on the first outing! Capiche?

All of the rest of the crap in the stores, is to hook the buyer...not the fish.

I would love to read that book but, I can't find it locally and there's no e-book version. I hate ordering books online , I guess I'll have to though.

troutdude
troutdude
You might try ordering, from Frank Amato Publications in Portland, Oregon. I believe that they are the publisher. It's one of my top 3 favorite fishing books; ever.

18406ej
18406ej
Viper,

I know you are very smart, but did you check the local public libraries at all? We have three volumes in our local library system, most of them stinking of fish oil. We also have seven volumes of "Fifty Shades of Grey" which are about as worthless as cinder blocks because every single one of the pages have somehow been glued shut.

Take care of yourself,

Eamon

V
viper0463
The local libraries around me are rather urban, that's the most P.C. I can be about that. I found a couple of books I want so It's worth it to just order them.

thanks

T
Throbbit _Shane
18406ej said:
Viper,

I know you are very smart, but did you check the local public libraries at all? We have three volumes in our local library system, most of them stinking of fish oil. We also have seven volumes of "Fifty Shades of Grey" which are about as worthless as cinder blocks because every single one of the pages have somehow been glued shut.

Take care of yourself,

Eamon

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually the book you might want to look into is by Bill Herzog. Spoon Fishing for Steelhead is the name of it. Good luck and tight lines!\

Edit. Just re read your post and seen you mention the book. The book isn't necessary but will help. Spoons are a re action bite so color isn't too important. Probably a little more important during the winter run when the fish wont move as far to bite the lure. If I remember right you want to use brass/gold during sunny days and silver/nickle during over cast days. That might be backwards. lol

Last edited:
V
viper0463
Throbbit _Shane said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually the book you might want to look into is by Bill Herzog. Spoon Fishing for Steelhead is the name of it. Good luck and tight lines!\

Edit. Just re read your post and seen you mention the book. The book isn't necessary but will help. Spoons are a re action bite so color isn't too important. Probably a little more important during the winter run when the fish wont move as far to bite the lure. If I remember right you want to use brass/gold during sunny days and silver/nickle during over cast days. That might be backwards. lol

I'm going to go ahead and order both. It seems like that's the best option.

Troutski
Troutski
See if you can get a copy of "What Fish See", it will change your angling life for ever.

Chuck

C
ChezJfrey
viper0463 said:
I'm going to go ahead and order both. It seems like that's the best option.

Yes, get Herzog's book on spoons...I caught probably 95% of my 2012 steelhead on spoons and with 3 colors: silver, copper, brass and a black sharpie on some of them. That's it.

R
rippin fish lips
ChezJfrey said:
Yes, get Herzog's book on spoons...I caught probably 95% of my 2012 steelhead on spoons and with 3 colors: silver, copper, brass and a black sharpie on some of them. That's it.

YUPP. I would try and get your hands on all 3 of those books. You won't regret it.

T
troutmasta
18406ej said:
Viper,

Take care of yourself,

Eamon

:lol:Again thank you E.J

I have the best luck on the Cleo brand spoons. I stick with the metalics but I do like those half red anodized/half copper/brass spoons. Lots of sucess on the sandy with those.

R
rippin fish lips
troutmasta said:
:lol:Again thank you E.J

I have the best luck on the Cleo brand spoons. I stick with the metalics but I do like those half red anodized/half copper/brass spoons. Lots of sucess on the sandy with those.

$$$$$$

S
spoonjedi
You absolutely wont regret it. I was lucky enough to read the book and then go back to Sportco in WA while Bill was still there and he actually rigged up my 1st set of spoons. 25 fish in 3 weeks!

hobster
hobster
I've been getting into spoons/spinners a lot lately, its been fun learning a new technique. Been slammin the trout but still never had a steelie hit one - it'll come soon. I'll have to get one of these books, thanks for the advice guys. What Fish See seems like it would be a very interesting book - have to find that one.

C_Run
C_Run
I read Herzog's book two years ago and have caught steelhead , salmon and trout on them. Old tarnished silver seems to work well and it's fun to make your own.

T6SeLhb.jpg

One of several searun cutthroat from yesterday.