Spey help!

M
mezzfin
This may be an absurd question, but I recently bought this rod and had it out on the Clack for practice yesterday at Barton. It came with a "regular" spey line (not Skagit). It's only 12'6", so not the biggest, but the tip section seems awfully soft. My spey cast is crap, granted, but it just seems like all the effort in lifting the line and setting the anchor was absorbed by the crazy flex of the top rod section (all bend and no lift). Question: Would changing to a Skagit line help? Are real spey rods typically pretty soft at the tip? My hunch is this rod is a two-handed rod, but not necessarily a true spey rod. Thoughts before I am tempted to return it? I own other LL Bean Streamlight rods and love them.

S
Spydeyrch
What line do you have on it? Make, model, etc.

-Spydey

M
mezzfin
Scientific Anglers® Mastery Spey Evolution Fly Line is what they wrapped on it. Now that I look at that line, they could have put either the 470 or 530 weight line on it since the rod is a 7/8 weight rod...

Irishrover
Irishrover
The rod might be a bit short for a long belly spey line. I started off with a 13' rod and long belly line. I wasted a year trying to figure out how to get a good cast. Then one day "Catch22" a person who used to be on this forum talked me into changing to skagit line with. I now have airflo 540 grain line on a 13' rod. What a difference it made. Some of the long belly line rods are 15' long. Send Ninjia a pm he really has the line type and rod lenght down pat!

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
You would be better off with either a Skagit or Scandi. Even though I'm not a fan of Scandi heads, that may be more appropriate for that length of rod. Scandi heads are great for throwing "dry flies" for steelhead better then Skagit heads. They do make sink tips for Scandi heads that are called Polyleaders. I think you would be best served switching to a Skagit setup. Just make sure you get the appropriate grain weight head for the rod. Hopefully there are some recommendations from the rod maker. Hope this helps.

M
mezzfin
Thanks, everyone. I think this confirms my next step, which is to get a Skagit head on there and see if that matches the rod better. Good news with LL Bean is they will take the rod back no questions asked if I decide to do that later :)

H
halibuthitman
definitely go with the skagit, the scandi requires perfect timing.... not forgiving at all, I have had a pretty tough time with the scandi-

F
FlyBum
Ya, Scandi sucks!

M
MattZ
im very new to spey, but picking it up fast. I fish a 12'6" rod and a 480 grain airflo skagit compact head with 12ft of T-11 sinking tip. to this i attach anywhere from 2 to 4 ft of mono and then the fly. having a good match is very important to good casting. my rod was a slug with the heavy 520? grain line it came with. i tried a 450 and 480 and the 480 makes it hum. the 450 is actually a switch skagit line, so its only 23 ft instead of 27. its a very fun line too because the short length makes it really easy to mend and fish. look on this site to get a cheap line or trade your line for a different ;line, then keep trying diff lines. or fish with people and try their stuff out. this is the most gear dependent fishing ive done so far. you really need to match things up.

the spey casts are very slow, thus the slow tip. do some research about "setting your anchor". once you learn how to set your anchor up better, the rest falls into place. this i found after lengthy internet research, and has helped more than anything for me trying to teach myself to spey cast. seriously, go to google or youtube or the spey clave and search "setting anchor snap t spey" absorb, reapply, prosper.

the last piece of advice i can give is really concentrate on pulling with your bottom hand and not pushing with your top hand like you do while single hand casting. If you set your anchor then come through with a very fluid casting motion using your bottom hand to pull instead of pushing, you will start to see some success. really focus on your mechanics like one might with a golf swing. good mechanics makes for effortless casting.

M
MattZ
also, there are different types of spey... there are more traditional styles where yoru line is more fluid and the anchor may not bet set, and there is the skagit and hybrid styles where the anchor is fixed while spey casting. one must decide which style to fish to make life less maddening. the PNW winter steelheading is what caused the birth of skagit style spey fishing, so i chose to start there. its what seemed most accessab;le, and it allows one to cast heavy flies on lighter gear, always a plus for me.