Spare change anyone

John3
John3
It is classic & desirable vise but I am too poor by far . . .

• IMG_1340.png
Reactions: Fred
troutdude
troutdude
To quote Mr. Barone's old man..."HOLY CRAP!"

Irishrover
Irishrover
Wow....Think I would rather have the deer antler vice in The Curtis Creek Manifesto. A lot cheaper, and homemade:whistle:. Sheridan Anderson had some great ideas.

F
Fred
What makes it cost so much?

L
LuedtkeLB
Fred said:
Weekend warrior doctors and lawyers wanting the “best” of the best so they can subtle brag to their friends about the cost. My $15 vise has produced some incredible flies that catch just as many as that elitist status symbol.

troutdude
troutdude
LuedtkeLB said:
My $15 vise has produced some incredible flies that catch just as many as that elitist status symbol.
I've said many times, over the years, that I can catch as many fish with my $5 garage sale fishing pole--as a guy who spends $1,000 on one!

Reactions: LuedtkeLB
S
Snopro
Tons of variables in your statement TD. Who's garage, type of fishery, skill level of the guy with the 1k rod, etc.

In general I'd say no to your claim, even if you moved the threshold to $200.

L
LuedtkeLB
Snopro said:
Tons of variables in your statement TD. Who's garage, type of fishery, skill level of the guy with the 1k rod, etc.

In general I'd say no to your claim, even if you moved the threshold to $200.
Please do explain, I’m curious as to your reasoning?
I was on the Deschutes for the Salmon fly hatch one year. Had a couple guys decked out in that years Best gear leap frogging me and my buddy. Our boat was easily out fishing them 3 to 1, with our garage sale specials:):) Even had to rescue them at Oh $hit Rapids! Money will afford the best, but it will never buy hard earned skills!

• Haha
Reactions: Casting Call and troutdude
S
Snopro
LuedtkeLB said:
Please do explain, I’m curious as to your reasoning?
Sure. Try catching albacore on an average $5 garage sale rod.

Did you look at the variables I suggested?

Reactions: LuedtkeLB
L
LuedtkeLB
Snopro said:
Sure. Try catching albacore on an average $5 garage sale rod.

Did you look at the variables I suggested?
Actually, when I was crab fishing out of Trinidad commercially, a fellow crab fisherman took me out for albacore. We used his grandfathers fiberglass rods from the ‘60s. My rod was missing an eye and all the rods had duct tape somewhere on them. We killed it that day!!
You mentioned variables, but I don’t see the relevance to your variables. If I went fishing with flies from the two different vices, I’m almost certain there would be no difference. If I went fishing with two vastly different priced rods (which I do all the time), I’m almost certain there would be no difference in my success rate. The only variable that truely matters is how much time you spend on the water learning.

Reactions: troutdude
John3
John3
Fred said:

What makes it so expensive . . . ??

- impeccable & innovative design

- best class of raw material

- first class of fit & finish

See video here :

Only a few them were made & making them was by hand.
The top of the professional European fly tyers were all using them for good reason.
It was expensive at the beginning. No corners were made to cheapen to bring the price down.

The very rich fishermen & scarcity drove the vises price high sky . . .

Note :
. . . my vise cost me $50 and had various design flaws . . . but
I solved the flaws with handwork & small hardware.

It’s permanent keeper.

Last edited:
S
Snopro
LuedtkeLB said:
The only variable that truely matters is how much time you spend on the water learning.
You're not going to find tuna sticks for $5 at a GS no matter the vintage.

I'm surprised you don't think the things I mentioned make a difference. The example you used on The Deschutes was one specific situation (salmon fly hatch) where you can do well with low end gear. The variable of your skill level overcame the variable of their more expensive gear.

Eliminate the skill level of the angler as a variable. Keep the angler the same. Rajeff could outcast most of us with a $5 GS ugly stick. Give him a top of the line ECHO and he'd crush the previous distance.

If I was to go drop shot fishing for bass, or hover fishing for salmon, I'd catch more on quality equipment than I would on your average $5 GS special. Could I catch a bunch on the $5 rod? Sure, but I'd catch more on the sensitive gear. I believe this would hold true for most anglers.

In a nutshell, good fisherman can catch fish on low quality gear...but in many situations would catch more on better quality gear.

Admin
Admin
troutdude said:
To quote Mr. Barone's old man..."HOLY CRAP!"
and it's used. I wonder how much they would ask for a new one.