South coast delivers again

C_Run
C_Run
After a really unsatisfactory steelhead fishing trip last Wednesday morning, I bailed and headed for the salt again at Port Orford.

ml5HD.jpg

I didn't do well on the surf perch. It was very rough and I never found them this time even though I tried two beaches. I tried off the rocks for the last two hours and things changed for the better.

83ugZ.jpg

This was legal , right at 22" Then I got a couple of undersized lings and two black rockfish.

z6LTY.jpg

Here's the total catch about to be fileted.

BDzGf.jpg

I think one thing I've learned lately is to not give up and go home early.

Here is a picture of Redfish Rocks Marine Reserve, one of Oregon's only two, which just became official on January 1. OSU is doing some interesting research on rockfish there.

bWgXm.jpg

K
Kevinb5688
Were you fishing the alsea that day? I talked to a guy there who said he was bagging it for rock bass and he said he uses those yellow headed jigs. Was that you?

B
bythesea
Way to go C_Run I seen someone too on the O.F.F w/1 of those jigheads w/ a pink squid.I keep telling myself to try it but I haven't yet. Great pics !!!,,, I can't wait to get my 1st ling of the year.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Nice little bounty Chris. Good dinner spread.

B
bythesea
bythesea said:
Way to go C_Run I seen someone too on the O.F.F w/1 of those jigheads w/ a pink squid.I keep telling myself to try it but I haven't yet. Great pics !!!,,, I can't wait to get my 1st ling of the year.

that was you I seen useing that jig---remember thread : south coast travelogue.....The Cranberry trucks,I had to go back and look for that jig...

N
nwkiller
looks like a lot of fun!!!!!

C_Run
C_Run
Kevinb5688 said:
Were you fishing the alsea that day? I talked to a guy there who said he was bagging it for rock bass and he said he uses those yellow headed jigs. Was that you?

Nope. I was at Elk River but it was very low and clear and only saw one other guy fishing so figured it wasn't good odds for me that day. I did hook a large spawned out salmon that broke off, though. That was the only excitement on the river. I'll bet one more rain down there will change everything on the small rivers.

A
alm21
That looks fun. I almost feel guilty for living in Oregon and not trying some surf/coastal fishing like that.

N
Noahk
Nice job Chris! Just wait till you get the yak off the coast. Lots more lings to be had!

W
waco
Nice Chris! I bet those made a delicious diner!!

C_Run
C_Run
bythesea said:
that was you I seen useing that jig---remember thread : south coast travelogue.....The Cranberry trucks,I had to go back and look for that jig...

I'm no fish expert but I'd say those species will eat whatever you put in front of them.They're predators. I have done well with all colors of hootchies on a jig head as well as things like twin tails and grub-style jigs in all colors. I just happened to be using what worked last time.

Reactions: waco
O
OnTheFly
Some of the ugliest salt water bottom fish make the best tasting meals.

S
salmon_slayer87
I so want to try jetty fishing this year. you make it look like a real good time. Thanks for the post/pictures.
keep it up,
Dale