Siuslaw report for Feb 23

B
Boombollie
My buddy and I hit up the 'Slaw right downstream from the mouth of Whittaker Creek yesterday from about lunchtime 'till dark. We went 0-1, saw a few hooked, a couple landed, and then there was that little 9 inch native :think: (trout?) that hit my big 'ol silver Stee-lee spoon and made it on the bank for a second. Does that count as steelhead? We started out with corkies and yarn and bounced back and forth between that, plain corkies, and hardware. Wonderful day, maybe next time we'll get some ink on the tags.

B
bran_man
Yeah fishing is really really slow and pointless there now so I would give up and stop going! ;) jk! Yeah fishing is beginning to get just a little spotty, but that's probably how it is everywhere. It's starting to be later in the runs and a lot of the fish have already moved. BUT, that doesn't mean there is not a good amount of fish still in the system. Timing/ little luck is everything. Well actually there are millions of factors that contribute to "success". Just don't give up just quite yet...

L
luddite
Sounds like the same little trout that hit my jig last saturday.

B
bran_man
Boombollie said:
and then there was that little 9 inch native :think: (trout?) that hit my big 'ol silver Stee-lee spoon and made it on the bank for a second. Does that count as steelhead?.
Ha ha nope. Those are just native cutthroat trout.

B
Boombollie
He had a lot gumption for a little guy!

R
rippin fish lips
Boombollie said:
He had a lot gumption for a little guy!

They are one of the hardest fiighting trout that i ahve caught so fARR Always feel like steel!