Siuslaw next week

C
canuckalhead
Hi all
We finally get a week off and we are planning driving down from Canada to fish the Siuslaw river for a few days. I have fished there a couple times years ago. Can someone tell me what to use. Plan on trolling we have a 10.5 foot white rubber boat and a 5 hp. If you see us say HI. I caught one on a meps one year. Hope to avoid wasiting one of our preciouse days figuring out what to use.
Thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
cheers man: most people here troll herring using 2 hook mooching rigs about 36" behind a rotating flasher (BigAl 8" is most common) with a 4oz weight just in front of the flasher, most common is either whole "green" size herring or plug cut "blue" size herring. the fishing can be very good close to Florence, crowded river on the weekends, not so much mid-week, either just upstream towards Cushman where the RR bridge is or just downstream below the 101 bridge, but watch for the wind to come up in the afternoon and get things choppy..be safe and good fishing.

J
joem
i havent been seeing a lot of flashers this year but year, but roger lives in florance.

E
eugene1
Follow roger's advice and you'll be fine! Wondering why you're coming so far to fish though? Are you in the area for other stuff as well?

Best,

jamisonace
jamisonace
I see equal numbers of fish caught without flashers but we caught three with flashers the other day. Try a 15" dropper to a 4 to 8 ounce weight. we caught one on 4 ounce lead and 2 on 8 ounce. Tomorrow I'm fishing sans flasher.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
joem said:
i havent been seeing a lot of flashers this year but year, but roger lives in florance.

joem is correct, we have see lots of people fishing without flashers this year but still seems like most of the fish we are seeing into the net, the standard BigAl is there. and we are 7 for 7 since last Thursday, so I am not changing anything (except maybe my pants, they are a bloody mess)...roger

C
canuckalhead
Thanks for all the tips. The reason we like to go there is we love Oregon, it is our favorite place in the world in our hearts. We get to walk the beach, catch some crab, have gizzards in the pub, and maybe catch a fish. I looked up the Big Als flasher any color beter?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
canuckalhead said:
Thanks for all the tips. The reason we like to go there is we love Oregon, it is our favorite place in the world in our hearts. We get to walk the beach, catch some crab, have gizzards in the pub, and maybe catch a fish. I looked up the Big Als flasher any color beter?

well, we see green, chartreuse, red, and sometimes blue and less common those with half/half colors.

for what it is worth, :D, we have been using 8" chartreuse BigAl for all of the fish on our recent hot streak with herring about 40" back....

E
eugene1
Makes sense, canuck. It's a great place.

If you don't want to deal with a bunch of wakes, you can launch at Tiernan. It's upriver a bit, but there are always fish further up than the hordes of fishermen think.

Best,

canuckalhead said: