Siuslaw/Lake Creek

D
DYJ
What's the deal??? Did anyone catch fish over there this weekend? We decided to pass up on the crowds of the Alsea and we left heading towards Mapleton at 5AM Sunday. We spent nine hours fishing it hard and not even a nibble. At one point there was 11 rods in the water at Green creek and in 3 hours not one fish caught. We hit Franks place for burgers and brews around noon (our best move of the day:lol:), then started out the afternoon on the lower slaw and saw a bunch of boats get pulled out but no fish. Talked to a bunch of people and only heard of 1 being caught up by Whitaker.

Rough day of Steelheading, after noon the weather started to warm up and with every Harley that rode by on HWY 36, I'll admit, I started thinkin I should've left the rods at home and pulled the bike out of the garage instead. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
DYJ said:
Rough day of Steelheading, after noon the weather started to warm up and with every Harley that rode by on HWY 36, I'll admit, I started thinkin I should've left the rods at home and pulled the bike out of the garage instead. :D

Will the real Easy Rider, please stand up!

Sorry to see ya get skunked. But, hey burgs n' brew ain't half bad.

D
DYJ
atleast everyone was gettin skunked.... instead of us watching everyone catch fish all day and gettin skunked.

P
plumb2fish
Went 1-3 between Connie and Tide on Sunday from 9-1. Beautiful nate hen, didn't take her out for a grip n grin...

D
DYJ
Not surprising, I know you know that river pretty good from your posts. I'm familiar with it somewhat and I've got my holes that I like to hit, most that I found just by exploring it over the last 2 years. I know where Tide water is but I have never heard of "Connie"? Where is that?

I suspected we should've spent more time down low, but Lake Creek looked so good. Live and learn... and hindsight's always 20/20.

Good job on 1-3. That's a lot better than EVERYONE else we seen.

P
plumb2fish
Connie is the boat ramp in the park on lake creek if you cross the stagecoach rd. bridge in Swisshome and take the first left. Tide is actually the next park downstream on the main river. There were a lot of boats on the stretch we hit and most had action. One boat actually had a clipped fish...heard of at least 10 nates hooked but only one keeper.

D
DYJ
Gotcha... I know exactly where you're talking about. One day I'll have a boat and learn the actual names of the ramps a bit more. We did fish that strech, but as I said above... I think we should've spent more time on the main river. I'll give it another shot this Sunday. The weather forcast looks dry all this week so the river should be down another foot or so and really let us bankies work that lower river...

R
rippin fish lips
DYJ said:
Gotcha... I know exactly where you're talking about. One day I'll have a boat and learn the actual names of the ramps a bit more. We did fish that strech, but as I said above... I think we should've spent more time on the main river. I'll give it another shot this Sunday. The weather forcast looks dry all this week so the river should be down another foot or so and really let us bankies work that lower river...

Nice! might have to hit it this saturday...! Idk tho, i only got light gear for when im summer steelheading... I really don't feel like hooking into a big native only to tire him out to his death. I may just have to put this season behind me! The nates are just too purdyyy!

H
hawgslayer
I went 0-2 yesterday afternoon after work. Both were assumed to be nates due to size, and were CHROME :(

J
JeannaJigs
rippin fish lips said:
Nice! might have to hit it this saturday...! Idk tho, i only got light gear for when im summer steelheading... I really don't feel like hooking into a big native only to tire him out to his death. I may just have to put this season behind me! The nates are just too purdyyy!

Not much difference in summers and the winters on the slaw. You won't see many massive fish. They're all cookie cutters for the most part.

I'm still deciding if I want to drag the boat over there or bank it tomorrow. I'm not a fan of having my **** stolen so I'll probably bank it.

E
eugene1
JeannaJigs said:
Not much difference in summers and the winters on the slaw. You won't see many massive fish. They're all cookie cutters for the most part.

I'm still deciding if I want to drag the boat over there or bank it tomorrow. I'm not a fan of having my **** stolen so I'll probably bank it.

Sounds like you have some intel as to tweakers/thefts over there? I haven't heard any bad news yet. Any insights as to problems on the slaw this year?

J
JeannaJigs
Nothing recent, I haven't been over there this year yet...been traveling elsewhere to get my fix. In recent years I've had my vehicle broken into twice and had items stolen. Rivers tend to attract undesirables and theft is pretty common over there. I'm not in the mood to tempt fate and leave thousands in gear unattended in my boat three or four miles from my vehicle. I'm in no financial position thanks to medical bills and a $17K lifeflight bill to replace much of anything of it were taken from me. So no tempting fate. As much as I want to take the boat, today will be a bank maggot mission. The downside of having weekdays off, when all your friends have weekends off.

Last edited: