Siuslaw is full of crab...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we hit the launch at 6am to catch the second half of the incoming tide and had 2 limits on board after pulling the first 5 traps. by the time we had all the gear stacked on board, we needed a 'crab style show' to decide a dozen or so we needed to return to the river. lots of big fresh males that have just filled in their new shells...

Red wing dams just below the bridge provided most of the really big ones, also got some just above the CG Station....back at the dock, reports from the ocean were of slow halibut fishing....

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bythesea
nice job!!! look's like I need to get the boat in the water,,The crab dock look's pretty busy.(tourist)

Y
Yogidabear
"Red wing dams just below the bridge provided most of the really big ones" What are red wing dams ? scuba diving there tommorrow can't wait . :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Yogidabear said:
"Red wing dams just below the bridge provided most of the really big ones" What are red wing dams ? scuba diving there tommorrow can't wait . :)

the 'wing dams' are a line of posts, they come out from the west side of the river to keep the channel from moving in that direction, see this part of the marine chart, some have numbered red markers, today we dropped traps between 16 and 20...

Last edited by a moderator:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Beautiful. Looks like I need to get out there. Where is the put in and how far do you have to go to get to the crab. My Driftboat is slow.

Y
Yogidabear
rogerdodger said:
the 'wing dams' are a line of posts, they come out from the west side of the river to keep the channel from moving in that direction, see this part of the marine chart, some have numbered red markers, today we dropped traps between 16 and 20...

I'm surprised the big crabs go that far up river I dive the old fish ladder usally in august and september and catch limits everytime I go out in 15 minutes. Thanks for the explanation

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
Beautiful. Looks like I need to get out there. Where is the put in and how far do you have to go to get to the crab. My Driftboat is slow.

the main launch is just up from the bridge at the marina/RV park, maybe a mile from the bridge...by August many people in smaller boats will be crabbing just below the bridge.

the strong tide swings over the week of the 4th seem to have pushed the crab well up river, they should be starting to get keepers off the docks at old town Florence soon, so far this seems like a very good year for crab, lets hope the king and coho runs are just a good.

D
dtikey
awsome report and great info plus great looking crabs good job

J
JeannaJigs
Whoa those are for sure some healthy lookin' crabs, been a while since I've seen that many good sized ones come out of there. Great report!

F
flocaster
If there's anyone out there who has a boat but no crab gear & wants to go out, let me know. I can supply the gear & bait. We can split the catch. I can even clean & cook em for you if you can't....you bring the brews! LOL
Why don't you bring your drift boat out Jeanna & I'll put you on some nice crab

J
JeannaJigs
flocaster said:
If there's anyone out there who has a boat but no crab gear & wants to go out, let me know. I can supply the gear & bait. We can split the catch. I can even clean & cook em for you if you can't....you bring the brews! LOL
Why don't you bring your drift boat out Jeanna & I'll put you on some nice crab

LOL my drifter isn't motorized, and I know how rough it gets down there lol I'd love to get some crab though, I haven't done it in probably 15 years

F
flocaster
Dang...where's an 9 horse outboard when you need it? LOL. There's always off the pier if you're interested. It's always nice to have some cool company

J
JeannaJigs
is the little pier thing on the south jetty any good? I remember crabbing off of there when I was a kid, but I don't remember getting anything keepable, but it was a long time ago.

F
flocaster
Yeah, it can be pretty good at times. I got my limit there a little over a week ago. Good size crab too

F
flocaster
Went out today off the "rock dock" on south jetty road. Got 10 keepers in about 4 hours or so. They were very full & extremely hard shelled...from the looks of them they were definitely ocean fresh. I have a couple pics if anybody's interested in seeing them

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
flocaster said:
Went out today off the "rock dock" on south jetty road. Got 10 keepers in about 4 hours or so. They were very full & extremely hard shelled...from the looks of them they were definitely ocean fresh. I have a couple pics if anybody's interested in seeing them

nice, that is what I have been hearing, I was at the Florence Marina yesterday and some folks on the dock said they were getting just a few little ones so I suggested that if they want some keepers, get to the south jetty dock....

F
flocaster
I'd like to post a few pics of the crab I caught, but my phone can't upload pics to the web. Is there someone who would be willing to pm me their email address so I can send you the pics & have you post them for me in a reply?