Siuslaw bluebacks

B
bythesea
someone was telling me about searun cutthroat that come up the slaw around june? anyone know about these bluebacks???:think:

J
JeannaJigs
bythesea said:
someone was telling me about searun cutthroat that come up the slaw around june? anyone know about these bluebacks???:think:

They do indeed. I know people that do well in the North Fork Siuslaw for them around that time, though I don't fish that fork so I don't know the regulations, and would recommend looking them up before heading out. Three or 4 years back Thuggin4Life, Bfishin and myself fished for them in Tidewater around florence with flashers and worms sometime in early August...Lets just say that we got some looks because hello, it's fall nook time, and here we are with trout rods. We caught S-tons of smolt and sculpin but no searuns, somethin' to laugh about now. Now if you really want some glorious searun cutts, Tahkenitch and Siltcoos have epic cutties. Hopefully someone else has more info on the siuslaw cutts. I know I catch a bunch above tidewater in the fall salmon fishing, and way upriver in the winter when i'm going for steelhead.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't know for sure but June sounds a bit early. I've seen guys in kayaks fishing around structure like boat docks for them around fall chinook time.

brandon4455
brandon4455
earliest ive caught them is august (while purposely targeting them) September is when i catch most in tidewater reaches but thats on rives north of the slaw, i have heard of people catching them in july i agree june is a little early. but then again, i was fishing the last hole above tidewater on a coastal river march 24th and caught a 12-13 inch ocean fresh searun cutty while steelhead fishing.. i think they poke into rivers all the time just not in numbers.

troutdude
troutdude
Jamison is correct. June is too early. You usually won't find any SRC's, until August at the earliest. They are considered a "fall run" species. Most peeps fish for 'em in tidewater like Jeanna and crew. But, some folks do target them in the streams proper. If you are a fly peep google "Borden Special". It was designed specifically for SRC's.

BTW SRC (sea run cutthroat) and "Blueback" are synonymous. The term blueback is used by us locals. The fish's backs turn deep blue, when they have been in freshwater for a spell.

Last edited:
B
bythesea
Thanks,,for the info.It sounds like a good time to get the boat wet before the salmon come in...

H
hawgslayer
I do great fishing the NF Siuslaw for them in July and into August. Most all the fishing I do is on private property, as there isn't much public access to be had. That being said if you have a boat trolling from Bender's landing to as far as you can safely make it produces good catches of SRC's and resident cutties. Have fun.

P
plumb2fish
You should ask Mosd about the Borden Special, since his dad tied it for the Siletz sea runs a long time ago....he knows a thing or two about fly tying....

Last edited:
D
dtikey
plumb2fish said:
You should ask Mosd about the Borden Special, since his dad tied it for the Siletz sea runs a long time ago....he knows a thing or two about fly tying....

only a little though lets not let his head swell to big

C
cowboysfan
I always make a trip over to Toledo and visit relatives in august which puts me in the blueback run up the big elk.