Siuslaw 7am Sun

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
did a quick recon from Florence Main to Tiernan at 7am- water level is up several feet from last week but color is still OK. did not see any trees or large logs floating in it; 3 boats scattered along the river was all that I saw out.

raining moderately and some standing water on the road near Cushman, grabbed my Goodyears (~half-tread) pretty good a few times at just the speed limit, the new pavement in that area is not draining well in a few places...wind gusts very frisky for this early in the morning, might be some big wind later today.

I also stopped by Bender Landing and the No.Fork is definitely brown there and high, however if I had thought to bring a rod and license, I would have certainly tossed spinners there for a while.

at Tiernan, I met up with "1 nut in the water" who was heading out in a drift boat with 2 other guys, I hope the fish are biting for them, I think the wind is the biggest issue today and possibly heavy rain at times...with muddy water coming down through Mapleton and in from the No.Fork, very interested in how the fishing is for those that brave the weather, we have never had much luck during storms like this...

cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
Sounds like a good day to watch the NFL

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
Sounds like a good day to watch the NFL

just don't force me to watch anymore of WSU or Cal...ouch...on the other hand, I guess when they play each other in a few weeks in Berkeley, one is probably going to win...

T
troutmasta
There is fishing on channel 8 right now. For those that dont have cable and rarely get to watch it.

P
plumb2fish
Went 2-3 in about an hr on the Saturday afternoon incoming....too bad this storm had to come in September....been a great early season

I
Igor
Was out and about earlier (not on the water) ... been raining most of the day here in Florence as Roger said. Now at 3:00PM ... 1500 hrs for real folks, wind is up and heavy rain again.

Not looking forward to launching out of here at 0230 to head for the middle of the state. As Roger has stated, the ODOT patching/paving program has left allot of places for water to puddle up on the road.

Safe travels everyone!

Les

P
plumb2fish
Safe journeys Les, lots of debris on the road on the way to the valley yesterday late afternoon.

R
RoryONeal
I was with the group that you ran into at Tiernan. We were out on the water until about 2:30 and didn't have much luck, although they were out there. Seals were up as far as C&D dock, and we saw over a half dozen fish jumping in that general area. We talked to a few other boats, and what we could gather they all landed 1 per boat I believe. I might head back on Saturday or maybe try my luck at Siltcoos.

D
DYJ
We went 1 for 2 Saturday early in the morning, hiding from the wind in the cover of the hill at the Dairy hole. After Slack high we trolled back towards Florence. I think that is the first time ever, in Sept on a Saturday around noon, that I've ever been the only boat between the Bridge to the Barge. It was pretty nasty and hard to make a good troll against the wind. So with one fish in the boat we called it a day.

I bet there wasn't much pressure out the for ya on the PM incoming huh, Plumb.

C_Run
C_Run
plumb2fish said:
Went 2-3 in about an hr on the Saturday afternoon incoming....too bad this storm had to come in September....been a great early season

Been out of town over two weeks and came back to this rain. So, does this spell the end of estuary fishing? Not enough years of experience to know, personally. I was hoping to get back out but the bank will be fine, if that's the case.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DYJ said:
We went 1 for 2 Saturday early in the morning, hiding from the wind in the cover of the hill at the Dairy hole. After Slack high we trolled back towards Florence. I think that is the first time ever, in Sept on a Saturday around noon, that I've ever been the only boat between the Bridge to the Barge. It was pretty nasty and hard to make a good troll against the wind. So with one fish in the boat we called it a day.

I bet there wasn't much pressure out the for ya on the PM incoming huh, Plumb.

DYJ- just curious, was it a king or coho? on Friday, there were loads of coho in the river, at least below the barge, but very few kings.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
Been out of town over two weeks and came back to this rain. So, does this spell the end of estuary fishing? Not enough years of experience to know, personally. I was hoping to get back out but the bank will be fine, if that's the case.

Chris- welcome back, we had a similar series of storms 2 years ago near the end of Sept. that blew the river out good but several days afterwards, the coho fishing was great and although I don't remember any super hot king fishing (like we had this year the first half of Sept.), I believe there were plenty more kings to be caught in our tidewater in October...roger

D
DYJ
rogerdodger said:
DYJ- just curious, was it a king or coho? on Friday, there were loads of coho in the river, at least below the barge, but very few kings.

It was a king, and the one we lost was so close to the net I know it was a king too. We had a couple more drive by's but it definitely wasn't hot. Didn't see any one else hook anything either. The only reason we pounded it so hard was that hillside was giving us wind cover so we could get good trolls in.