Shimano spin reel question

madasahab
madasahab
so I am not so mechanically incllined...lol...I have a reel that all of a sudden got weird. The drag will work sometimes and sometimes not? Any suggestions? Don't know if wholesale sports will replace it as it is used. Not sure if Shimano will either, so I guess it's fix or replace...

J
joem
take it apart and clean it relly well, could just be some stuff in it. just make sure you remember how to put it back. i had a reel that did that to me broke off a trout that was pushin 10 lbs in hills creek i think it was a dolly.

madasahab
madasahab
joem said:
take it apart and clean it relly well, could just be some stuff in it. just make sure you remember how to put it back. i had a reel that did that to me broke off a trout that was pushin 10 lbs in hills creek i think it was a dolly.
Bummer. ..yeah it's fairly new but I'll give it a shot....good thing it hasn't cost me a fish!

C
ChezJfrey
If it is front drag, there is no need to disassemble the reel housing. Just unscrew the top that holds the spool and make sure there is no debris caught between it and the spool and that the spool spins freely around the center axis. If that is clear, does the drag attached to the top piece spin without problem? I'm not sure the drag in the top piece is serviceable (I could be wrong), but if it has a problem, you could just order that part from Shimano.

Also, it might also be some nicks in the spool itself, where the line will catch and not allow the spool to spin around smoothly, or catch, which would make it appear there is a problem with the drag. If that is the case, a new spool will correct.

H
hawgcaller
If it is fairly new send it back to shimano to get serviced. They will fix it for a fair price or even free if it is within a year, usually. It does take a couple weeks though so that is kind of a bummer.

S
seanandrenee
A lot of the currnet Shimano Spin Reels use a drag that has small (dime or penny) size fiber disks sandwiched between what are basically polished metal washers with a grease to keep the drag smooth (without pulling a reel apart I think there are three of each). Screw the tension nut down tighter and it puts pressure on this sandwich, which creates the drag. Pull the tension nut off (the top that holds the spool on), use needle nose pliers to remove the square retaining clip, then the drag disks will be visable. Easy to flick out with a toothpick. The fiber disks are saturated with a light reel grease (you can buy a small container at Fishermans at the Reel Desk for a couple of dollars that will last many years). This grease will disapate with use, moisture, hot days, etc. As the grease breaks down the drag will become jerky and feel very wrong. By re-greasing the fiber disks it will remedy this. I just use a toothpick to apply small amounts to several (4-6)places on each fiber disk,. Just make sure you dont over do it with the grease. If it is a new reel, this might not be issue but with some use you may run in to a similar issue and this is a good, easy, cheap fix. ( just make sure to pay attention to the order of the disks as you disassemble to be able to put it back together the right way).

S
seanandrenee
And after further research and talking with a couple of other people, some of their reels also dont use any oil/grease and if the drag disks get greasy/oily you may have to clean with alcohol or brake cleaner or replace those; so read your manual, and of course if thrown out, google the reel model number and you should be able to find out online.