seems a little late for Coho.

M
mccarrel
Went out to the North Coast looking for some steel this morning, had a good bobber down but nothing but a smolt to show. My buddy landed a bright bright native Coho, Just curious if the Necanicum has a particularly late run.

O
OnTheDrop
mccarrel said:
Went out to the North Coast looking for some steel this morning, had a good bobber down but nothing but a smolt to show. My buddy landed a bright bright native Coho, Just curious if the Necanicum has a particularly late run.

I'll catch chrome ones into January. Hit 2 yesterday and lost a nice steel. Had like 6 bobber downs within my first 45 minutes of being there then nothinggg! No one I saw touched anything either. Was really good before the rain came? :think:

H
halibuthitman
Native coho runs are traditionaly later than hatchery fish... I imagine there are some dullish brite kings around too.. the Nf Nehalem has gotten over 170 steelhead back in the last week, so the necanicum should be fishing decent.. many people there?

H
hcole
I went out there last weds and there were a fair amount of people considering it was mid week. landed a cutthroat and lost what I'm assuming was a steelhead after having it on for 15 seconds or so.

M
mccarrel
The North Fork was a zoo today, We had the Necanicum all to ourselves though. It was my first time there, its a very pretty stream.

C
ChezJfrey
mccarrel said:

Last year, late December and fishing for steelhead, I caught a coho on the Necanicum that was still silver.

M
mccarrel
ChezJfrey said:
Last year, late December and fishing for steelhead, I caught a coho on the Necanicum that was still silver.
The Necanicum is no river, Its a time machine.

N
n8r1
mccarrel said:

2 years ago in late January, in the middle of a rare coastal snowstorm, I caught the biggest coho of my life on that river. A big, dark, ugly native buck. I wasn't even targeting salmon that day, since it was in the peak of the hatchery steelhead run. Fun surprise.