Seaside beach trip labor day weekend

D
Denduran87
So we're headed out to seaside for a little vacation at a house right on the necancium above the 12th avenue bridge and only information i've been able to find is cutthroat are running now so I was looking for pointers on how to go about catching them around there. We will have a canoe so can go into the estuary or along the river anywhere. I’m thinking about picking up a crab and shellfish license too just not sure on how to go about the whole clamming and crabbing. I have clam guns but i believe razors are off limits right now. I also had a very hard time finding the regulations for necancium and what and where is allowed for this time of year if anyone has some pointers I would greatly appreciate it! What exactly does above tide water mean and aggregate i see them in the regs but no idea what they are talking about as far as the necancium river goes.

S
SmallStreams
Necanicum River (Clatsop Co.) downstream
of Hwy 53 bridge at Necanicum
Jct., including Neawanna Creek tidewater
downstream of 12th Avenue bridge

Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-March 31 and Sept. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for Chinook salmon Sept. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for marine fish and other fish entire year below the 12th Avenue bridge located in
Seaside. See Marine Zone (pages 100-103).
So, your lesson in reading the rules, is that downstream of the 12th avenue bridge is considered tidewater. The Neawanna Creek bridge on Hwy 101 is the other boundary for the bay. The map for the Northwest Zone also guides you to those boundaries.

After September 1, you can use bait, though, for the fish's sake, you should stick with artificials. Remember that soft plastic/rubber artificials are legally defined as bait.

As to what is in the river (the Necanicum is really just a large creek), you will primarily find an occasional searun cutthroat above tidewater. Mostly they come into the bay below the 12th avenue bridge until some rains start. In tidewater, in the bay, you may find unclipped chinook (chinook were planted years ago & are not native) and unclipped coho (threatened native) and steelhead (both clipped and unclipped), though their show doesn't get too interesting until mid-September.

Crabbing from the bay's bridges seems to be popular.

D
Denduran87
SmallStreams said:
Necanicum River (Clatsop Co.) downstream
of Hwy 53 bridge at Necanicum
Jct., including Neawanna Creek tidewater
downstream of 12th Avenue bridge

Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-March 31 and Sept. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for Chinook salmon Sept. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for marine fish and other fish entire year below the 12th Avenue bridge located in
Seaside. See Marine Zone (pages 100-103).
So, your lesson in reading the rules, is that downstream of the 12th avenue bridge is considered tidewater. The Neawanna Creek bridge on Hwy 101 is the other boundary for the bay. The map for the Northwest Zone also guides you to those boundaries.

After September 1, you can use bait, though, for the fish's sake, you should stick with artificials. Remember that soft plastic/rubber artificials are legally defined as bait.

As to what is in the river (the Necanicum is really just a large creek), you will primarily find an occasional searun cutthroat above tidewater. Mostly they come into the bay below the 12th avenue bridge until some rains start. In tidewater, in the bay, you may find unclipped chinook (chinook were planted years ago & are not native) and unclipped coho (threatened native) and steelhead (both clipped and unclipped), though their show doesn't get too interesting until mid-September.

Crabbing from the bay's bridges seems to be popular.

Thank you much! Found the definition for aggregate and it's a collective of species for 1 limit. Now when you say downstream it doesn't mean south of 12th avenue bridge it means closer to the ocean (in otherwards more referring to the direction of flow of water rather than actual lattitude position). Also i see razor clams are out of season but are any other clams good for this time of year around there. I think you can get coccle's in the estuary right?

S
SmallStreams
I have no idea what's available in shellfish.

D
Denduran87
well thank you for all your help!
oh yea sorry i meant to have a question mark after this wasn't trying to be snotty. Thanks again
Now when you say downstream it doesn't mean south of 12th avenue bridge it means closer to the ocean (in otherwards more referring to the direction of flow of water rather than actual lattitude position)?

troutdude
troutdude
Downstream, and Upstream, are always relative to the direction of the flow. Going against the flow, is going upstream. Going with the flow, is downstream.

troutdude
troutdude
By the way, if you can find a fly shop with some Borden Specials...get some. The SRC's will devour them!

D
Denduran87
troutdude said:
By the way, if you can find a fly shop with some Borden Specials...get some. The SRC's will devour them!

Thanks for the tip! my fly rod busted but i'll try clear bobber with leader for flys!!

D
Denduran87
So figured i would do a report although very late. Caught 3 keeper crabs from sculpin and chicken in the bait box. Caught lots of tiny sculpin and baby cutthroats off pink or green vibrax spinners. Seen one guy with a nice keeper cutty and i lost one keeper at the bank. 1 getleman said he caught a king acouple hrs before we got out there but never seen anything big and on the canoe could basically see all the way down. It will probably better (or is now) after the first rains.