Sea run cutthroat patterns?

S
SteelyStalker12
Evening y'all!

Just curious if anyone might recommend some good sea-run cutthroat patterns to tie up? I know of the Borden Special but that is about it. I hear the sea-runs are a different breed for sure!!!

-Joe

P
plumb2fish
PM Mosd, considering the Borden special is his Dad's pattern. He just may know a thing or two...

E
eugene1
If you are willing to try gear, you can use a red herring bone pattern brad's wiggler plug. They like those and you can even get into a surprise coho.

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
Pink is the underlying component, of Bob Borden's fly. The body, for example, is all pink. Bob's goal--I've heard others say--was to imitate a shrimp. I've had great success, with Hot Pink Rooster Tail's; which adds further cred to that concept. I wouldn't hesitate to tie, some hot pink Woolly Buggers--or some with a pink body/orange tail, pink/purple, etc. Pink & purple, are also great colors for Ho's.

Good luck; and let us know how you do.

O
OnTheDrop
Don't get me wrong the bordens do good on most coastal rivers, but I always have better luck with standard imitations of natural looking prey for these trout. Black/ Dark green/ white and yellow always out produce my pink patterns. I got several 16-20" in the last month 1/2 and none came on pink. Bring it all you never know what will be the trick!

troutdude
troutdude
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Bring it all you never know what will be the trick!

That's the best advice, right there, for ANY and ALL fishing trips!

bass
bass
I know a lot of people will recommend the Borden special and reverse spiders. I use those some of the time as well. However, while I am not an expert by any means but here is my additional take.

When the water is low or clear, I prefer to fish a cast of caddis flies. I use a stimulator tied part way up the leader (roughly matching the size of anything I see flying around) and a larva or pupa on the tail (occasionally I will run 3 flies using both a pupa as the 2nd and larva as the tail). I fish this by throwing across stream and then mending upstream a few times to let the tail fly get down. I then make one big mend upstream to get my leader and line above my flies. This is also preparation for the actual fishing. I check the line and let the flies swing, keeping the stimulator dancing on the surface until the flies swing directly below me. I finish by stripping them in like a streamer and then cast again. I use a similar approach for trout fishing as well. I have had some really good days using this approach.

N
n8r1
If there are spawning salmon in the river you're fishing, Glo Bugs (particularly orange) can be very effective.