Sea lion??

J
jaraiza10
So I was out at high rocks after school and didn't have much luck other than freezing my rear end. Water was very clear/ low and could see everything. I was up river float fishing and I heard a big splash! I thought "This is it, first sign of a fish!" Upon further review... I saw the back end of a Sea Lion and several more times as it came up for air... Iv'e never heard of them coming up river so far. Is this a good sign, or a bad one?

H
hydropsyche
On the clack no bueno. I'm all for conserving nature but when certain creatures lose there respective perditiors they will offset the balance that was once in place. We once hunted sea lions and seals now they have learned we mean food instead of death.

T
todd_brooks
Thats crazy, I've seen em in the Willamette in the area of the mouth. That things probably waiting for rain to get out to open water.There's got to be some skinny water between it and the Willy. Maybe it'll starve first ;)

S
Silvers&Steelies
I saw one last year all the way up at Riverside park. Just checking the river right after sunrise and it was blown out but he was cruising close to the bank by the boat ramp.

O
OnTheDrop
Yup. I've seen the punks to Riverside.

I was wading out in the river near the Willows a few years back when one breached 10 yards below me.. Scared the sh** out of me. I fought the river to the bank in a hurry!

D
DrTheopolis
Over the years, seals have been as far up as Eagle Creek.

People complain about the bags, but they're an omen of incoming fish.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
People complain about the bags, but they're an omen of incoming fish.

'tis probably true. But, I was also drifting my gear through a likely hold yesterday afternoon on the Clack when I saw a massive sea lion breach the surface right where the fish should be in my drift. Sure, might a good sign that fish are generally in the area, but I was darn certain that specific spot wasn't holding fish any more! Had to move on...

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Here is an idea how far up river these pinapeds go, about 5 yrs ago while rock hounding the Mo with my son I found a strange bone that we took to the local pd station and they sent it off and called me a week later said not human...phew but it was a seal bone out of the rear flipper......and this was above knights bridge.

So upriver in the floods or through the ladder??

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
NWDiscer said:
Here is an idea how far up river these bipeds go, about 5 yrs ago while rock hounding the Mo with my son I found a strange bone that we took to the local pd station and they sent it off and called me a week later said not human...phew but it was a seal bone out of the rear flipper......and this was above knights bridge.

Yikes! That's quite a trek.

jamisonace
jamisonace
It could have died lower in the system and the bone was transported by something that was eating it.

but....I've been surprised to see them really high up the Siletz during the fall Salmon Run.

NWDiscer said:
Here is an idea how far up river these pinapeds go, about 5 yrs ago while rock hounding the Mo with my son I found a strange bone that we took to the local pd station and they sent it off and called me a week later said not human...phew but it was a seal bone out of the rear flipper......and this was above knights bridge.