Salmon River > upper

S
struve909
Hi all.

Was hoping to hit the upper Salmon River just outside of Welches this weekend. Maybe early on Saturday. Anybody know how the fly-fishing is up in that region this time of year? I keep on seeing the Salmon River pop up on forums, but it never seems to mention the upper section. Any fly pattern recommendations?

Thanks

M
meluvtrout
I'd stop by or call the Fly Fishing Shop at Welches, they'll give you a report: (503) 622-4607

Reactions: Raincatcher
G
GORDY
Not to sure about the upper but the lower down by ottes flies eggs and spinners are working great

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Salmon River is closed to steelhead now. It closed Aug 31st. Trout fishing is open ubove Final Falls until October 31st. Final Falls is a goog hike up the Salmon River Trail but it is a beautiful hike. This very cold river used to be one of my favorite steelhead rivers to fish. The river is full of pools and tailouts with old growth trees that are extremely emense shading it. The information below comes from page 52 of the ODF&W Regulations.

Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead and non-adipose fin-clipped steelhead harvest
July 1-Aug. 31.
• Open for trout above Final Falls on the Salmon River May 25-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day,
8 inch minimum length.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures with a single point hook no larger than 1/2-
inch gap (size 1) and multiple point hook no larger than 3/8-inch gap (size 4).
• No limit on size or number of brook trout taken. Catch limits on other trout species do
not apply to brook trout.

Last edited:
S
struve909
Thanks to all. Really want to get to know that upper portion around Welches area. Think I will wait until next Spring.