Rude woman.. what would you do?

H
halibuthitman
Ok... this forum is boring, so heres a little thing that happened to me this summer.. what would you do?

AS I was fishing for trout this summer on the Russian river I held a particularly small piece of water for most of the morning, all of the fishermen who waded down the river that morning had smiled and passed on, exept a woman in her 30's.. as she fished down the river she held up above me for some time, then non-chalantly walked up on my left side and just cast into the 6' slot I was working.... shocked I informed her that this would not do... and its a fine way to get shot, she waved her flyrod ( which she could not cast ) at me and informed me that she had paid a lot to come to Alaska and she would fish anywhere she pleased, this is america, and that she saw no reason why I should get to have what appeared to be the only spot with a trout in it.. so I stepped back, pulled out my pepper spray and pointed it at the ground and pretty much emptied it into the rocks right in front of the slot... she shrieked... what the hell are you doing?! I told her that the can was old, and I just wanted to make sure it was good still good... and this is america... I can do that.. then I walked away... she yelled after me that she was gonna call the constable.... he never came- would you have just surrendered the hole?

T
the_intimidator03
Now... where do you 2nd guess what you did LOL I think it was perfectly fine.

L
lizardman
I'm surprized she didn't get a little wet when you accidentally tripped and tried to use her to catch yourself. People with an "entitlement" mentality really bug me.

Dave

E
eugene1
That's pretty funny HHM!

I would think that after several tangles between your gear she would get the point and move on. It wouldn't be fun for her having to retie a cut off line after every cast!

N
nativefish
Me personally, think standing in one spot is not really fair. Its like not sharing basically. I prefer to start at the top of the hole and work your way down, with others forming a line behind you. Following the Cast, step, cast, step formula until the end of the run or hole has been reached. Then going back to the top and working my way down. I respect everyones right to stand on their rock i just move around them. If they feel that they have been low holed by me, well they can move off their rock and do something about it, or stand their a wipe tears from their eyes as they play the worlds smallest violin.

H
halibuthitman
nativefish said:
Me personally, think standing in one spot is not really fair. Its like not sharing basically. I prefer to start at the top of the hole and work your way down, with others forming a line behind you. Following the Cast, step, cast, step formula until the end of the run or hole has been reached. Then going back to the top and working my way down. I respect everyones right to stand on their rock i just move around them. If they feel that they have been low holed by me, well they can move off their rock and do something about it, or stand their a wipe tears from their eyes as they play the worlds smallest violin.
Or wipe pepper spray from your eyes... I would pepper spray a nun holding a puppy over my drift.. Just sayin

E
eggs
I would have tossed a few large rocks into the hole as well..

N
nativefish
halibuthitman said:
... I would pepper spray a nun holding a puppy over my drift.. Just sayin
I hope you get abducted by aliens.

troutdude
troutdude
Hells bells. I'm rather surprised that he didn't pepper spray the WOMAN, who stepped up to his hole. I sure would have!

Aliens, btw, landed in my backyard last night. Ain't no big deal. They like to fly fish too--and respect your hole!

H
halibuthitman
nativefish said:
I hope you get abducted by aliens.

Me too! I love mexican food!

L
lilsalmon
halibuthitman said:

hahahaha....

I had an incident like that a couple weeks ago when Dave and I made a last minute trip to the Crooked. We had found a nice hole in a spot we had never fished. Tons of fish on! As I am working my way to a sweet riffle this skinny guy in his elitist flyfishing garb appeared out of the tall brush and started fishing right in the riffle. Never once looked at me or acknowledged me at all.....I was able to take a few more steps toward him and then headed back up towards Dave....It sucks being a nice person cuz I had every right to be a smart arse....the best part was he caught one teeny fish out of the riffle and I had like 6 fish...at one point I yelled out a very loud WOOT WOOT and glared at him as he finally looked toward me. I feel if you find a good hole and want to fish it that others should stay away. Early bird gets the worm......

I think your response with the woman was excellent...did she think you got to Alaska for free?

D
DYJ
Pepper spraying someone over a fishing hole?????? That's part of the problem, not the solution. Not to mention illegal... :rolleyes:

The lady was in the wrong. I'd do the same as you did and try educate her that it wasn't OK. If that was really her response I would step back, have a smoke and let her fish it for five minutes then step in and start crowding her to move on. I also don't think there is such a thing as being low hold if your campin on a hole or sittin on anchor in a boat. Not everyone is on the same schedule as you. If your on anchor at the top of a big enough hole and I float around you, as soon as I pass your lines I'm fishing the end of the hole out and moving on. Is that rude?

Last edited:
W
waco
eggs said:
I would have tossed a few large rocks into the hole as well..

Been there done that! :lol:

H
Hawk
halibuthitman said:

Lupe makes delicious chicken enchiladas...:lol::lol::lol:

N
ninja2010
surrender the hole to one who could not cast??? maybe she shoulda paid for casting lessons and day pass at a trout farm before heading to alaska.

btw, i don't carry pepper spray... but i might "check" the oregon rounds in my magazines... to "make sure" they would shoot okay in alaska.

O
OnTheFly
No problem with what you did at all. I think she'll return now, from where ever she came from, with better ideals and ethics towards the sport. However, I think your pepper spray tactic was a little weak. I would've thought you'd use one of your seal bombs.:D

B
BobbiDollPDX
troutdude said:
Aliens, btw, landed in my backyard last night. Ain't no big deal. They like to fly fish too--and respect your hole!

Yeah, we know what aliens like to do your "hole" ::::cough::: <probe> ::::cough:::.

troutdude
troutdude
ninja2010 said:
btw, i don't carry pepper spray... but i might "check" the oregon rounds in my magazines... to "make sure" they would shoot okay in alaska.

Say what? Since when does a Ninja, need anything but a Spey rod to handle a given situation?

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
No problem with what you did at all. I think she'll return now, from where ever she came from, with better ideals and ethics towards the sport. However, I think your pepper spray tactic was a little weak. I would've thought you'd use one of your seal bombs.:D
seal bombs were outlawed this year... I can't get any more.... I only have 16 left, have to use them wisely!

H
halibuthitman
I do however have a whole case of exploding shotgun rounds from an airport.... hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:think::think::think: