Rod question

D
David92
Hi, I'm new to the site. I was wondering what size of rod i should get for steelhead fishing from the bank. I haven't steelhead fished before but i have been reading and learning as much as i can before i head out for the first time. I was wondering what size of rod i should get i would like to get a G loomis but i can't afford one right now. So i am thinking a want to get a lamiglas one. I don't know if i should get a float rod or spinning one. I also live in Salem and was wondering where would be a good place to go fishing at.

S
SteelyDan's
Hey David, Welcome to OFF. Rod choice is up to how you most plan to fish. If your float fishing I'd suggest at least an 8 1/2 footer but most prefer a little longer to keep your line off the water. Most likely if you stick to it you'll end up with multiple rods for certain types of steelhead fishing. Spinning rod for drift fishing and many people use casting rods for float fishing to more easily extend your floats. But if your pretty savvy with a rod a spinning rod shouldn't be too hard just gotta stay with your bail incase you get bobber down. I know Okuma has some decent rods for the money too if your not wanting to get too deep into the pockets. I don't have one myself so someone else can chime in on that. Also your a little farther north than me so as far as fishing spots i'm not much help but I know there is some good fishing within an hour or so. Hope this helps a little.

R
ryank
If I had to pick one size for all of my steelhead needs I'd pick a 9'6" 8-15lb (ish) rod.

J
jesse202505
What he said ^^^^:thumb:

T
tater19
i use between an 8'6" and 9'8" and they are 8-12lb. Nice and flexible. Lamiglass and Loomis are great quality and Lamiglass even has some in the $90 range. i have a couple buddies who have been using Okuma and they seem to like them as well. the biggest thing for me is the sensitivity of the rod. You need to be able to feel everything on the bottom when bouncing a lead through. the steelhead have such a soft bite. good luck!

D
David92
Ok, Thanks for help! I think i am going to go with a 9'6'' rod.

F
fishinshawn
I'd recommend a 10' 6-10lb Shimano Clarus....