Reel recommendation for bass

W
WillametteT
New guy here and pretty new to bass fishing in Oregon. Went on a fishing expedition last Saturday with a gentleman from my church and he's got me hooked on small mouth bass fishing. I picked up a lightweight Fenwick fishing rod and would like a decent spinning reel for it. Would like it to be 4 - 8 line weight, right handed and between $45 and $55 if possible. What do you experienced folks recommend?:)

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF; and to the ditch pickle bug!

Ron knows his reels--so, I agree. The main thing is, you really don't need anything too fancy for smallies. BTW, good choice on the Fenny!

We'll be looking for your reports and pics. Good luck.

T
TimberTodd
I have several Pflueger Trion reels I use for bass and have had great luck with them.

W
WillametteT
Thanks gentleman for the replies and suggestions. I got another suggestion for the Shimano line of reels and was looking at them. I was told that Shimano's include an extra spool but, don't see that on any of the ones I've looked at. Any truth to this do you know? Here's a pic from my fishing trip last Saturday.

photo 1-1.jpg

T
TJR_84
Pfluger president. I use that reel for everyrthing from bass to bottom fisbing the coast never lets me down and oh so smooth.

W
WillametteT
Looking at the Pfluegers now. Thanks for the reply.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Hard to go wrong with Shimano. A 2500 size spinning reel is a great all around size reel. Iv used my Symetre for about 5 years and its caught big steelhead, big bass, and big trout on it. Its been my work horse.

W
WillametteT
Ok, I'm a little confused on the line weight thing! Which model Shimano is good for 4/6 pound line weight? Or do I have to buy a reel for each weight?

T
Throbbit _Shane
WillametteT said:
Ok, I'm a little confused on the line weight thing! Which model Shimano is good for 4/6 pound line weight? Or do I have to buy a reel for each weight?

You can load a 2500 with 4lb but a small reel would be better. 6-8lb mono works good on a 2500. Also I don't know where your bass fishing but if you have a chance at a decent fish you'll probably want to use 6-8. Iv caught some big fish on 4lb but Small mouth in a river are tough fighters. Also most places you find Large Mouth you'll find quite a bit of cover in the water so you wont want them running around if you can help it. Having multiple set ups for different techniques/baits is ideal though. Hope this helps....

looking at the picture it looks like the Umpqua. I float it multiple times during the summer. If you want some tips on baits/locations shoot me a pm.

W
WillametteT
Wow, that's a great observation! It was on the Umpqua near Sutherlin. Right now, I have a cheapy reel on my pole and it is spooled with 4lb test but, I was thinking the 6lb would be better too. Thanks for the tips.

Well, after some comparing and shopping around, I ended up purchasing the Shimano Sonora 1000 FB. I talked with the guy who took me out last Saturday and he thought it was a good to go with for what we are fishing for. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I really appreciate it!

T
TimberTodd
Enjoy the new reel. Now go take the skunk off it!

W
WillametteT
Got another fishing expedition in the planning stage as we speak! I used Rooster Tails the last time out but, was wondering if anyone has another good suggestion for small mouth bass?

T
TimberTodd
Senkos rigged wacky style.

W
WillametteT
Can you give me some directions on this Senkos and what is whacky style?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Senko is a type of rubber worm 3-4" will work better for smallies. Wacky style is when you hook the worm directly in the middle of it, it gives it a real natural look when it falls. I find using jig heads with rubber worms and other creature baits will work better though on the river. Might want to pick up some poppers, Jitterbugs, spooks, buzz baits or any other kind of top water bait if you want to have some real fun. They're more apt to hit those early in the morning or late in the evening but if there is cloud cover you have a good shot too, also iv experienced them hitting top water all day during a sunny day in the heat of the summer. Just depends on what you want to use anything and everything will work on the Umpqua River for smallies. Tight lines!

W
WillametteT
Thank you Shane! Very much appreciate the help and your experience. I'll look into the ones you suggested and have me a game plan for this Fridays trip.:thumb:

R
Richard W T
good luck enjoy your new set up!

W
WillametteT
Thanks Richard! Unfortunately my new Shimano won't be here 'til sometime next week so, I won't get to use it this Friday. Still gonna have a good time though!:D

S
Stradic2000
I've tried 'em all and always recommend the mid to low-mid priced Shimanos, you just can't beat a Shimano. The no fail bail springs last forever, I've never seen a worn out Shimano bail wire. Quantums, Abus, Shakespeares, Pinnacles, nothing compares to Shimano. But... that gaudy gold n' sparkle cream colored GX-7 pflueger in size 40 is one of the smoothest reels I've ever handled, smooth like hot melted butter, the 40/medium size is the smoothest of that line. Not sure if it's as well made and durable as a Shimano, time will tell. A small spot on the titanium (?) coated spool lip rubbed off, guess it's just gold anodized color and not titanium nitride coated?

My #1 recommendation is a Shimano Sonora 1500FA or 2500FA (the older one that came out before the orange models, it's silver & gold), feels like a $100 reel, just like budda. Not an overpriced Symetre, Stradic, or Spirex, a $30 Sonora. For an UL reel, the $30 Sienna 500FD, the sparkle gray color version from a few years back. Like budda. For baitcast reels, Abu, Quantum, Shimano, and Daiwa all make nice reels. The low profile Abu Garcia Black Max that's out and in stores right now is the best bargain in baitcast.

Badda bing badda boom.

Last edited: