recent coastal coho numbers look better...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
numbers for the third week look more 'normal'. my feeling is that the 404 Siuslaw number for Sept.17-23 might include a bunch of ocean coho that were counted as river coho (last day for ocean coho was Sept21 and Siuslaw was freaking full of boats out after them that day, we were trying to fish below the bridge that afternoon while they were all roaring in- it was like trying to fly a kite while walking down the middle of I-5)...

now, about that rain that we need....

R
rippin fish lips
I Bet ya a lot of those coho were caught from the mouth up to the crabbing dock/CGS.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Looks like the Siuslaw is going to close soon! Maybe it'll last one more weekend?

yeah, my guess is we are safe through the coming weekend (13-14th) but depending on what the count is, they might close it mid-week (16th?)...

we watched 3 get netted today upriver this morning but no action for us; my wife and I can tag 3 more, so we are hitting the Slaw hard for coho the rest of this week and through the weekend if necessary, Siltcoos can wait until we get some rain...roger

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
Looks like the Siuslaw is going to close soon! Maybe it'll last one more weekend?

Wouldn't be that close if they didn't have that 404 week in there. I still say there is no way that is correct.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
mikeredding said:
Wouldn't be that close if they didn't have that 404 week in there. I still say there is no way that is correct.

Mike-

I have heard 2 theories, not saying that I agree with either of them, but:

1- the bar was open most all that 404 week and ocean coho catch was strong, especially closing day Friday, ODFW checker just asks about catch (does not look at tags for catch location) so ocean caught coho could have been getting reported to the checker as river caught coho. Or the checker just was entering all coho has river caught by mistake on one or more days that week.

(we were out on the river that week 4 days and didn't see many boats fishing the jaws, with the good weather any boat that could was going out over the bar, I do not buy the 404 coho being caught in the jaws theory)

2- the count is totally goofy and numbers are just made up....this would be bad, NOAA approves our coastal coho season based on ODFW ability to get a good count, allowing us to catch 5% of the predicted run, if confidence in that counting process is lost, we could lose our coastal coho season....

PS- the river is now full of coho, no doubt about that, they are going acrobatic all over.

M
mikeredding
Oh I am sure it was scenario #1. I was thinking that all along. When we were catching them in the ocean that checker wasn't even asking us but I always made sure to disclose it so they knew.

R
rippin fish lips
mikeredding said:
Oh I am sure it was scenario #1. I was thinking that all along. When we were catching them in the ocean that checker wasn't even asking us but I always made sure to disclose it so they knew.

That could be it... but there has been coho in the river for a while now. ODFW could have not been checking tagging locations tho. But i still think it is correct.... Don't under estimate the coho on that river.... Lots of people caught coho early in the season near the jaws motor mooching.

M
mikeredding
rippin fish lips said:
Don't under estimate the coho on that river.
I don't understimate the Slaw. I fish it every weekend in Aug & Sept and I know there are lots of fish there but the numbers posted by the ODFW don't add up. 62 the week before and 81 the week after. 404 does not pencil out. Especially with the ocean was open for retention that same week.
It doesn't really matter anyway. It is what it is.

C
CaptKirk
mikeredding said:
I don't understimate the Slaw. I fish it every weekend in Aug & Sept and I know there are lots of fish there but the numbers posted by the ODFW don't add up. 62 the week before and 81 the week after. 404 does not pencil out. Especially with the ocean was open for retention that same week.
It doesn't really matter anyway. It is what it is.

FYI ODFW is counting released Coho against the quota. I was told for every two released one is counted in the quota. That is right out of a fish checkers mouth.....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rippin fish lips said:
.... Lots of people caught coho early in the season near the jaws motor mooching.

good call, you nailed this one...:D