Post spawn perch

G
Gulfstream
I do not know what happened to the perch fishing lately,but it has REALLY slowed down.I have been out today,and once last week.Today I got 2 ,one dink and one 2 lbs.Last week I got skunked.The sand crabs are still here,but the fish are not.My buddy says it could be post spawn blues,they may have moved out to deeper water for a while.Any thoughts?:sad:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Gulfstream said:
I do not know what happened to the perch fishing lately,but it has REALLY slowed down.I have been out today,and once last week.Today I got 2 ,one dink and one 2 lbs.Last week I got skunked.The sand crabs are still here,but the fish are not.My buddy says it could be post spawn blues,they may have moved out to deeper water for a while.Any thoughts?:sad:

Go fish Takenitch until the surfies get out of their funk? :)

Surf perch are a fish I've never been able to dial in, so you managed more fish than I would've. But seriously - if you're in Coos Bay, I'd drive north and hit up Tak, Tenmile, or Siltcoos for freshwater perch, crappie, or bass action if the surf perch fishing has gone to pot. Or maybe try for some sea bass / lings off the rocks in Winchester.

Or you could try heavier weight rigs and see if you can get out further and test your friend's theory?

PK Yi
PK Yi
I hear that. went to some of my favorite spots and had little luck compared to years past. a little bit unusual. had a good trip last week to ona beach, but went the next day and landed only 2 in about 3 hours of fishing. on top of that, it seems every time I go the wind picks up. I did way better last winter compared to now. just gotta keep hopping beaches I guess.

G
Gulfstream
I am glad I am not the only one having problems! Thanks!

T
TimberTodd
My neighbor and I fished around Netarts yesterday from 8 till about 11:30. I managed 8 with all but one being small. I had a lot of missed hits. My neighbor said it was insane action a few weeks ago. He managed to hook only 4 yesterday.

S
Steelkill22
Ive been fishing surf perch for a long time. They are so inconsistent, they are either there or not. I've fished in what I called perfect conditions and either only caught 1 or 2, other times I've fished in bad conditions and very windy but just nail the snot outta them.

M
mustardthetrout
I went out last sunday by cannon beach and thought that the same thing was happening to me when I went about an hour without catching any. However, once I moved down the beach a little bit I found a school and I began catching them in numbers again. I think that it's simply a matter of moving around a lot with these fish and finding them.