Pontooners beware

S
steelhead1
Had a great weekend of fishing the central coast,but it almost cost me my life. Just on approach of some sizable whitewater,I suddenly felt my skeeter 'toon go soft. The oar popped out of the lock and the bag rotated,tipping the footpeg down. I had no choice but to ride it out, and hope I didn't end up swimming.The last tiny bit of weld held on long enough to deposit me close to shore,on the wrong side of the river. Breaking the boat down I discovered that two of the most critical welds had twisted, and broke clean,and held together only by a thread:shock:. I was happy to spot a driftboat1/4 mi downriver,and used my whistle to get their attention and signal for help. These men were gracious enough to take time from their fishing, motor up and give me a ride across.Thanks Nick,you saved my ass and I am grateful! I tossed my broken boat over the fence into a cow pasture, and of coarse went right back to fishing. Over the weekend,my bud and I ended up going 7/10,including a really interesting looking Nate.Check him out:D

• DSC00370 (1).jpg
  • DSC00375 (1).jpg
  • DSC00385.jpg
  • DSC00393 (1).jpg
  • DSC00395 (1).jpg
  • DSC00389 (1).jpg
B
billfisher
Someone was looking out for you that trip! Glad it ended well. Honkin big roman nose on that nate!

S
Spydeyrch
Glad to hear that everything turned out in the end. Would hate to have you go down in that frigid water!! :naughty: :shock: That is one freakin' weird looking fish!! :lol:

Take care man and good luck out there.

-Spydey

H
halibuthitman
Im glad you worked it out.. its important for everyone to understand that boats are like airplanes, a pre-float walk around and inspection is a requirment for safety.. sounds like a hot wweekend of fishing!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Also, from the looks of the pics you toon was not make for anything other than a lake. If you are running rapids then a toon rated for at least class 3 rapids should be used. These toons in the stores are not made for much more than a lakes. Glad you made it out ok!

B
BobbiDollPDX
You didn't leave the toon there did you?

T
Throbbit _Shane
I had my pontoon fail on me in October midway on a 3 day float of the Umpqua. Luckily it wasn't the frame. Just the covers for the bladders tore on the bottom at the seam. Made rowing the frog water a ***** at times because my toons would shift because they would'nt strap down right.

Sounds like it worked out ok for you! Nice fish.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Glad there was a drift boat in the area to give you a hand. Alway nice hear about good guys out on the river. Nice fish too.

F
fish man sanders
is anyone fishing the head of the Willamette river right now for steel head or is it just coast fishing and fishing the rivers by the coast ?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
halibuthitman said:
Im glad you worked it out.. its important for everyone to understand that boats are like airplanes, a pre-float walk around and inspection is a requirment for safety.. sounds like a hot wweekend of fishing!

Wise words. I had a Fishcat FC9 nearly loser the entire left side on a drop in the Umpqua. Not really a dangerous drop as it just goes into a pool before slow water but it's a decent descent that kinda sling shots-you into the base of the curler and stops you while spitting you upwards. I had been fishing the jetty in Yaquina bay all that summer and the summer before and over time I think the salt got inside the frame and rusted the welds. It basically shoved the left potoon up so the lock was above elbow high and made it so my dammed arms were crossed no matter where they were and with hands still on the oars hahahah Needless to say I couldn't row for crap and almost hit the wall *taboo*

S
steelhead1
This is not a Bi-mart toon.It is designed for rivers and rated 2+,300 lb capacity. I suppose dropping falls and tail/nose riding during the warmer months, probably didn't help the frames integrity. I found a shop to fix it,I am gonna have them beef it up and make the frame non-adjustable,so that it can no longer flex at the joints.

S
steelhead1
BobbiDollPDX said:
You didn't leave the toon there did you?

No. I had to go knock on the farmers door(an experience that was more frightening than almost going for a swim) and ask for permission to cross his property. The guy ended up being very nice,and will probably grant me access to fish his stretch,if I ask politely:D

E
eugene1
Damn, 7/10 was almost worth that close call!

Sweet kype on that nate buck, you know they are called Oncorhynchus right? Means hook nose!

Best,

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good idea to beef it up!

Its not just bi-mart toons that are not rated for whitewater its pretty much any toon made and sold in stores. If the pontoons themselves are not rated for class 3 or higher the frame will not be either. A one man toon that is made to run in rivers will cost you $1000+. These other toons that are in stores work for the most part but they are definitely not made to run rivers.

S
Silvers&Steelies
Good thing you got out of the water and found some friendly people to get you out of there. I've been thinking about getting a pontoon or kayak myself and have no experience on a pontoon. I was also leaning toward the pontoon because you can sit up a little higher. Might start a new thread so I don't hijack this one with pontoon questions.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Was supposed to float the Slaw yesterday, but after reading this thread I inspected my pontoon frame and noticed two spots where the welds were rusted and cracked. So I missed out on the float. Took my frame to Rebco in Eugene and they repaired it fairly quickly for just $25. Gonna start inspecting my pontoon before river trips from now on I think.

O
OnTheDrop
Throbbit _Shane said:
Was supposed to float the Slaw yesterday, but after reading this thread I inspected my pontoon frame and noticed two spots where the welds were rusted and cracked. So I missed out on the float. Took my frame to Rebco in Eugene and they repaired it fairly quickly for just $25. Gonna start inspecting my pontoon before river trips from now on I think.

25$? That seems pretty cheap! Let me know if ya want to get the toons out. My 9ft'er hasn't seen the water in a few months..

S
steelhead1
Throbbit _Shane said:

You mentioned rust,so its a steel frame on your toon?The company I found charges 85 bucks an hour,but my boat is aluminum. Do you know if rebco does aluminum?

T
Throbbit _Shane
steelhead1 said:
You mentioned rust,so its a steel frame on your toon?The company I found charges 85 bucks an hour,but my boat is aluminum. Do you know if rebco does aluminum?

Yeah it's steel, I just have a cheap 8' creek company paid $85 for it 3 years ago. And im not sure about your question you could always call them.