Pointless bringing my drift boat to Yaquina Bay/Newport?

H
HootYeah
Spending the weekend in Newport and I thought I'd bring my boat and do some salmon fishing. After looking at this forum it doesn't seem theres much to be had in the bay? Any thoughts? I've got an aluminum driftboat with a 8hp motor... Would I be better off fishing the Jetties for rockfish and seabass?

C_Run
C_Run
I'd take the drive from Newport up through Toledo to Elk City and scope out where all the boats are and then try there. I don't know why there are so few report about the Yaquina. There should be some good fishing going on there by now. There is a nice ramp at Toledo and a couple by Elk City.

D
DYJ
It's September... definitely take your boat and fish. Don't forget about the Alsea too.

H
HootYeah
Yeah it doesn't take a lot to convince me to bring my boat. Looked up some threads on ifish and I called a shop down in Newport. He says its a little slow but like I always say, a bad day on the river beats a good day in the office! ;)

D
DYJ
amen to that....

E
eugene1
There's a small run there that's worth fishing for, at least one of my friends did OK. Crabbing always sucked for me in that bay though, kinda overfished I think.

Best,

Casting Call
Casting Call
HI HY! I just had ranger Rick of Lincoln County over to the house. He tells me the hot bite is up river on the Selitz. The bay is slower. Let us know how you do no matter where you go. Keep your socks dry. CC

W
waco
HootYeah said:
Spending the weekend in Newport and I thought I'd bring my boat and do some salmon fishing. After looking at this forum it doesn't seem theres much to be had in the bay? Any thoughts? I've got an aluminum driftboat with a 8hp motor... Would I be better off fishing the Jetties for rockfish and seabass?
Sometimes a quiet forum means great fishing around!!!

H
HootYeah
Hooked into a fairly decent sized fish. Yet again at the beginning of my salmon season I didn't set the hook well enough and it got off very easily the first time it came up and rolled by the boat. One of the nicest weekends I've had in Newport weather wise so it was a great day none the less. Was able to convince the girlfriend to come out on the boat and she was excited to just see a big fish on the line. Funny how her excitement helps me feel better about losing a big fish. I'll be out on the Siuslaw for sure next weekend!