Plunking advice

M
mccarrel
Thinking about trying some plunking on the Sandy after the water drops below 11 ft. I know that you want to use spin n Glows and eggs and found some good rig guides. Just curious about color and bait or any other bits of advice that might come in handy.

F
fish4life
I think if you could find a seam where a creek dumps in and plunk on the seam where the clear water meets the dirty water fish will be flushing there gills out in these areas.

Reactions: waco
troutdude
troutdude
They hug the banks in high water like this. Plunking close to the bank is the way to go. But, a seam like the one mentioned above...would be the ticket...especially if the sweet spot is near the bank.

Think BIG, bright, and smelly (scents). Go get 'em!

M
mccarrel
When you say close to the bank do you mean a few feet or a few yards.

troutdude
troutdude
Depends on the spot. They hold behind logs, brush, etc. So, in those places just in front of the bank and behind that obstacle. But, if there's a seam 30' out--and slack water between the seam and the bank--cast out just short of the seam (25 - 28' feet or so). It's about reading the water, and understanding where the fish will lie...or, be moving through.

C
chrisohm
You can start out that far if you want to but my one suggestion is to start out closer to the bank, 5'-10', then work farther out. Try to gauge how deep it is in the spot you choose. Casting out that far, 25'-28', could cause you problems on the retrieve if you are unsure of the water. You may end up losing more weight to underwater issues. Stick with the seam idea and have some fun!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've always been told they will hold within 15' of the bank after an event like we just had due to cleaner, more oxygenated water and not having to battle all the debris in the water. If you can't find a seam, stay close to shore. There's a reason all the folks in boats are casting toward the bank. Good fishing to you and let us know how you do.
Oh, and please be safe.

H
hawgcaller
I was thinking about going to try to give em hell on Sun afternoon. The river i was scoping is suppose to drop a foot that afternoon. Think I might try finding a clean creek running into the soup. sounds like a pretty logical idea that those bad boys would be trying to clean their gills out. All I know is im not gonna get anything sitting at home dreaming. Im not afraid of a little skunk, wouldn't be the first time but hopefully I will have a photo or two for ya. By the way, with the high muddy water, try some cheap ol salad shrimp. Those little puppies stink like no other, surprisingly they catch fish too.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Hawgcaller, Chrisohm and Raincatcher both gave you very wise advice. So, give it whirl. Good luck.

H
hawgcaller
I was thinking of trying two number 4 spin n glo's, one on top of the other with a 4 or 6 inch pink worm behind. Thinkin that might produce seeing how the visibility will be pretty poor im sure.

C
CoastieFlo
think close to bank where slack water and the current meet......a big flashy spin-glo with lots of scent or eggs or both and there u go.

M
mccarrel
Thanks for all the advice, if the water keeps dropping through the night might go out tomorrow.