Plug cut herring rig with paravane. Will this work ok?

N
Northsea
Hi all great forum!
I'm inspired to try out plug cut herring for trolling which is something I have never done before.
I do a lot of deepish trolling with lures using a paravane and wondered if the plug cut rig will work well with a paravane instead of a banana weight.
Or will the rolling herring be too much for the paravane to dive properly?

I have no idea about what sort of specific rig to use but guessing a couple of swivels will be a must to prevent line twist.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Welcome to the forum dude.

Trolling herring behind a diver is nothing new. I have a river that I use that combination for when fishing for fall chinook. And have seen several boats using them for spring fish.

I guess to me it seems semi- straight forward, in that there are several different models of drivers available, and you would just need to pair the diver to the size of the bait and water depth you want to fish. Its all circumstance dependent. If a guy was to target near the bottom of the a water column, I think using a dropper weight would be a better choice to prevent snagging your diver on the bottom. But targeting suspended fish, its a good technique.

The mooching rig its self, there are a lot of different ways to do that, be tween a 3 hook rig, 2 hook rig, sliding 2 hook rig. Your hook spacing needs to match the size of the herring. Be it Black, Purple, Blue, Green, or Red. On my leaders I always tie a 7 bead-chain swivel mid-length in the leader. And use leaders from 5' to 3', with a flasher, no flasher depending on water clarity.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htrh_pc1_index.html

N
Northsea
Thanks for the welcome dude and the advice.
Nice to hear this is a fairly common set up.
I've added an image of what I think you suggest for the rig so please correct me if I've got it way wrong.
Very interested in your comment about adding a flasher.
Firstly where on the rig would you attach a flasher? Between the herring and swivel or?
Finally how does the water clarity affect your decision whether to use a flasher or not?
Will you only use a flasher in clear water or the opposite?

Sorry for all the questions but very keen to learn from a man who knows his stuff. :)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
R
RunWithSasquatch
7866290.jpg

In extremely clear, shallow water, Ill fish a herring by its self, no flasher. Normal situations Ill use a flahser to the herring, and then the dirtier it gets after that, I shorten the leader, getting the herring closer to the flasher.

That picture is from Shortbus' web page, that same rig would work with your diver, just substitute the slider/weight.

One tip to this whole thing is to make sure you're backing your rig from the boat slow, because if you drop too fast and the weight passes your flasher/ herring setup, you'll just be dragging a giant wrapped up mess behind your boat, and not fishing.

Last edited:
N
Northsea
That's brilliant thanks for the explanation.
I live in the uk and having trouble trying to find any chain swivels.
Looks like I may have to buy from US or work out another way to go about this.

Chris

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
I think one of the best methods , is keeping it simple. Slider which can be a plastic slider or simple barrel swivel and bead, tie that to a bead chain and run 5-7 ' leaders. If you're fishing for trout you should shorten the leader to around 5' , For leader and hook I would suggest a mooching rig . I would never use a cut plug herring with a diver of any kind, the proper method is lead. When in the ocean the use of lead is far more prevalent . If fishing commercial spoons on the troll you can use either a down rigger , lead , or dipsey diver, rarely is herring ever fished with divers if at all.

R
rippin fish lips
BlackBass said:
rarely is herring ever fished with divers if at all.

You have some great tips in your post. But i gotta ask you a question, about the ending to it... Where have you been during Fall chinook and Springers in the columbia? Flashers with herring behind it do some Damage on those kings!! Runwithsasquatch Explained it all perfect. To Northsea, good luck with your fishing adventures brother. And welcome to OFF.

B
BlackBass
Flasher is not a diver !

R
rippin fish lips
BlackBass said:
Flasher is not a diver !

Sorry, i didn't notice i said Flasherrrr lol! iI have seen guys do well with divers and herring tho.

R
RunWithSasquatch
BlackBass said:
Flasher is not a diver !

Pretty straight forward as far as what he meant to say.

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
How is that straight forward, I wasn't talking about what he said at all. Your initial post talks about using herring with divers, which I have never seen. That is why I commented on this post to begin with, hoping to share some information.

R
RunWithSasquatch
BlackBass said:
How is that straight forward, I wasn't talking about what he said at all. Your initial post talks about using herring with divers, which I have never seen. That is why I commented on this post to begin with, hoping to share some information.

Its common.

B
BlackBass
Where is this practice common? To use a diver with herring? I am just curious because in all my life I have never seen this method deployed. Dipsy divers in the ocean maybe, but more times then not a hoochie or commercial spoon would be used. , jet divers and herring lol ? Please tell me where a diver is more affective then lead and or flasher combination?

P
plumb2fish
Buoy 10 it is way more common to use a diver and bait than it is lead.....

R
rippin fish lips
plumb2fish said:
Buoy 10 it is way more common to use a diver and bait than it is lead.....

Exactly. lol

R
RunWithSasquatch
Even beyond Bouy 10, the Drift Creek stretch on the Alsea is almost exclusively a diver and herring show. Seen them use it down in Reedsport , guys use diver and herring in the Willamette also. These are just places that are in my small world.

Its not uncommon.

Last edited:
N
Northsea
As a matter of interest what sort of depth can you get to using the banana weight set up?#
Thanks
Chris

R
rippin fish lips
Northsea said:
As a matter of interest what sort of depth can you get to using the banana weight set up?#
Thanks
Chris

That one all depends on what size of Banana weight you are using. So many things come into play when you want to talk about Debth with banana weights. How far back are you trolling it? how fast are you trolling? what size of banana weight?
So many factores come into to play, and this setup is killer on suspended fish.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Herring behind a diver......do it all the time. When I fish out of Warrenton in the lower Columbia I only use divers. Up river in the Metro area I'll use lead on a slider. It all depends on the water you are fishing.;)