Planning first trip tp Hagg Lake.

K
kb7kuh
So in a few weeks, my wife and I want to give the lake a try. We will be bank fishing and would like some advice where (location wise) to start out.

We normally use a sliding egg sinker to a swivel, and about a 2 to 3 foot leader. Does that sound like a good setup? We fish Big Creek Res. near Newport, and that setup works great.

I might bring my best buddy my 85lb Lab/Pointer a long. He loves going fishing!

B
Big3d
You might consider taking a few bobbers as well in case the fish are towards the top. There are so many places at that lake to fish, a good starting point is boat ramp c, I personally like to fish near the dam though.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
That is a great set up for hagg. I find that the bite is not as strong this time of year on power eggs etc., so I use a 1/4 to 1/2 egg to swivel, and 24" of 8lb test fluorocarbon leader to a #1 steelhead hook with a 1/2 of a night crawler (Inflated plump!) to float. Also use a little Mikes garlic flavor Glo Scent. Its the money rig! I don't like using small hooks for trout as I catch and release any fish less than trophy size these days. When I spend my time at hagg, I am in or around the C ramp or Saine Cr. cove looking for the big fish! One more great option I just started fishing last weekend there is Drop Shotting with a 1/4 oz. weight and a #2 Wacky hook with a nose hooked Berkley Power Worm in red or punkinseed depending on their mood. I slayed it on red last weekend! See other threads or youtube for Drop Shot fishing rigs. Easy set up and when fished correctly, lethal!!!

Have fun and if you see a 15 foot smoker craft with a Calcutta pirate flag give me a shout!

Cheers, and good luck!

Chris

Last edited:
K
kb7kuh
Thanks guys. Will try to catch a big one! Just got a Jeep Wrangler 4 door. It's the new fishing rig. The KIA is now retired lol.

P
pigs
MrGrumpFish said:
That is a great set up for hagg. I find that the bite is not as strong this time of year on power eggs etc., so I use a 1/4 to 1/2 egg to swivel, and 24" of 8lb test fluorocarbon leader to a #1 steelhead hook with a 1/2 of a night crawler (Inflated plump!) to float. Also use a little Mikes garlic flavor Glo Scent. Its the money rig! I don't like using small hooks for trout as I catch and release any fish less than trophy size these days. When I spend my time at hagg, I am in or around the C ramp or Saine Cr. cove looking for the big fish! One more great option I just started fishing last weekend there is Drop Shotting with a 1/4 oz. weight and a #2 Wacky hook with a nose hooked Berkley Power Worm in red or punkinseed depending on their mood. I slayed it on red last weekend! See other threads or youtube for Drop Shot fishing rigs. Easy set up and when fished correctly, lethal!!!

Have fun and if you see a 15 foot smoker craft with a Calcutta pirate flag give me a shout!

Cheers, and good luck!

Chris

I am going to try these exact tips next time I go!

B
bubs
Haven't tried the second rig Grumpfish mentions but I can definitely second the first part about the trout hitting nightcrawlers this time of year. Lots of good advice in other threads on this forum if you do some keyword searching.

I would just add one thing to all of it: if you don't find fish in the first hour or two, move! Sometimes I get stuck on my original plan of where to go and I end up being too lazy or stubborn to move, but the fact is there are so many different spots to fish at Hagg (not to mention different species to target) and it's always fun to explore a bit! Seems like many days the fish are one place and not so much in another, and it can change day to day. Sun, wind, and water clarity seem to be factors at Hagg (for bank anglers) that can really close the action down in one area of the lake and open it up in another, so I would read the signs and consider not committing a whole day to one or two spots if you're not into some fish after a while! Google 'Hagg Lake fishing map' and have some backups in mind.

Oh one more thing...be prepared for some serious muddiness on the bank this time of year!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Fished Hagg today with Big Ben......Nada, zip, nothing. Didn't see any caught from the bank, we tried trolling, plunking and I even through a fly or two. Water color didn't look good up close. Can hardly wait for the water to warm, it was 49 in most spots and 50 in others. This just doesn't seem to be my week.

Dana

bass
bass
EOBOY said:
Fished Hagg today with Big Ben......Nada, zip, nothing. Didn't see any caught from the bank, we tried trolling, plunking and I even through a fly or two. Water color didn't look good up close. Can hardly wait for the water to warm, it was 49 in most spots and 50 in others. This just doesn't seem to be my week.

Dana

Sorry to hear the bite was not happening, but thanks for the report nonetheless. Did you go up into the arms at all or were you out in the main lake. I would have thought that the water color might be OK in the arms since we had a bit of break from the rain.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Yes we went to the right of A launch into all the arms and then over to C and into that arm.we marked fish around a tree stump at the mouth of that arm. Other than that we didn't Mark many I think I'll get a better fish finder LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

M
Masin
In regards to where to fish hagg for the first time, I would definitely try either of the boat ramps first. Especially if you bring the dog. There's a lot of room for him to run around if you want to take a break from fishing.

bass
bass
Masin said:
In regards to where to fish hagg for the first time, I would definitely try either of the boat ramps first. Especially if you bring the dog. There's a lot of room for him to run around if you want to take a break from fishing.

I don't think that they generally enforce it but the rule is:

No dog, cat or other animal of any kind shall be brought into or kept in the Park area unless confined or on a leash.

This is from:

http://www.co.washington.or.us/Support_Services/Facilities/Parks/Hagglake/policies.cfm

My guess is that unless someone complains there would not be a problem. I have seen folks get ticketed for having dogs off their leash at Bethany lake park. That really blew my mind. Here is a huge field with hardly anyone using it and you are not allowed to let your dog run around.

troutdude
troutdude
kb7kuh said:
We normally use a sliding egg sinker to a swivel, and about a 2 to 3 foot leader. Does that sound like a good setup? We fish Big Creek Res. near Newport, and that setup works great.

Big Creek, and Hagg, are a couple of my favorite lakes. And that set up, in the Spring & Summer works GREAT w/ Power Eggs.

Until this year; the season opener at Hagg was the first Saturday in March. I've now been there, for 6 or 7, of those opening days. The vast majority of the Trout--at that time of year--were caught, in the top 10' of water (i.e. near the surface). So my suggestion, is to cast close to the bank. Then let 'er float OFF, of the bottom (and well OFF of the bottom).

Try the point, at the bottom of the driveway and left of Ramp A. Then try the Sain Creek inlet area. Where Sain Creek flows into the lake, there is a drop OFF. So at that spot, try more weight to hit that drop OFF. Trout are nabbed there, every year without fail.

Also try casting, and retrieving, Little Cleo spoons, Rooster Tails, Thomas Buoyant's, etc. But think SLOW retrieve; as the fish are also cold and won't move far or fast for food. Gotta give 'em a chance, to grab it.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

K
kb7kuh
He has a leash, and we also bring a rope.

bass
bass
kb7kuh said:
He has a leash, and we also bring a rope.

Definitely should be good. We bought a 50' training leash when our dog was a pup and bring it with us when we go places with on leash rules. I doubt you would have an issue at Hagg but it is best to be prepared.

K
kb7kuh
Finally getting to go to the lake tomorrow. Can't wait to give it a try.

Need to pick up some night crawlers and a hypo to pump them up! Will report how we do.

K
kb7kuh
Well we had a good trip. No fish, one nibble. The lake is really nice, and well maintained.

We tried Sain Creek area, and by the boat docks. Saw a few stockers caught, but everybody said it's slow.

Will try again soon.

M
Masin
Glad to hear you got out there. We'll be out there tomorrow.