Planning a trip

C
CurtisP87
Im planning a trip to the deschutes for this sunday/monday to try to get into some steelhead. Ive never been to the deschutes before, and Im hoping to get a little advice about where to explore in my limited time. I dont have a boat so Ill be hiking into anywhere I want to go, I figure I can cover 5-6 miles (there and back) in a day, and I want to be where the fish are! Should I be focused around the mouth, or a little higher up, say around Maupin?

Any advice from people who know this water would be much appreciated!

L
lizardman
Good fishing on that river, mostly artificial flies and lures only (plastics sometimes are considered bait so read the regs carefully). Watch out for snakes, if it rattles give it a wide berth.

Dave

J
joesnuffy
I'm not sure where the fish are at in the river right now but there is a nice dirt road to hike up on the east side of the river starting at the mouth. You can hike as far as you want.

A lot of people will ride their mountain bikes up this to make it easier and faster.

L
lizardman
With the lack of rain most of your salmon and steelhead are hanging from the mouth to just upstream from the walking bridge in the Umatilla as we haven't had a good rain to raise the river level. The counts over Three Mile Dam are almost non existant so far (one Coho, one Steelhead for August).

Dave

S
spoonjedi
If there is room, do not pass up fishing at the bridge. Took all day, but I left with a 15 lb. B- run last Friday...Upriver is incredible at times, but rain is the missing link to trigger the fall fishing spike.

C
CurtisP87
Great, thanks for the input. I'll post up a report when I get back.

S
steelhead_slayer
There are fish everywhere in the river now. The east side of the mouth like suggested is a good option. Maupin also has a lot of access on the south side of town if you follow the road that parallels the rivers