Pink tail perch fishing spring of 2012

G
gmcnair
Went fishing north of Coos Bay to my favorite spot and fished hard to locate perch. The beach had no sand crabs for bait. The current was ripping my 3 ounce sinker south parallel to the beach and followed it for about 100 yds and finally stopped in a pocket. Had some hits, and finally hooked a medium perch, but it was slow. Hiked north to another spot and the surf was surging and rough, and the ocean tries to pull you down. Around high tide found another pocket where the rest of the fish came from. They were way out there..............They were hitting Berkley Sand worms and seemed to ignore rubber jigs and live sand shrimp. Right when the fish were hitting on each cast, my bail fell off into the surf and had to land the last fish by pulling in the line by hand. My spare rod was in the car and decided to call it a day....................oh well, the reel problem helped shorten the fish filet time.

• IMG_1125.jpg
C
CoastieFlo
Heck, you did pretty good considering! Those are nice looking ones.

B
bythesea
we went out for perch a few day's ago too and ya the seas were rippen and all I had was berkley sandworms we caught 1 perch .I screwd up by not getting any sandshrimp by the time I got into the bay the tide was to high.glad to see you got some though.

G
gmcnair
Good to hear from you fellas. Getting one was pretty good considering the weather and ocean Bythesea. I was ready to go in and did the one more cast, a prayer, and wam. Then my reel fell apart!. Couldn't believe the fish were actually concentrated in a rough area where the swells began to break. The water must have been 7' deep and it was an hour after high tide. Now we will have to wait out this new weather spell. Email if you guys want to meet sometime for a fish. I've been kayak fishing too. gmcnair2@frontier.com

Last edited:
S
silkiechicken
Perch! I hap hazardously tried throwing out an ounce of weight off a 6.5 foot trout rod into the ocean in random places near low tide with some shrimp. Fail. LOL But I liked being by the ocean!

Seeing your pics is exciting since you know what you're doing and it means they must be out there somewhere.

B
bythesea
silkiechicken said:
Perch! I hap hazardously tried throwing out an ounce of weight off a 6.5 foot trout rod into the ocean in random places near low tide with some shrimp. Fail. LOL But I liked being by the ocean!

Seeing your pics is exciting since you know what you're doing and it means they must be out there somewhere.

hey! it's a start all you need to do is get rid of that ounce of weight and put on a 5oz pyramid and your style'en the rod will work fine....FISH-ON!!!

Last edited:
S
silkiechicken
Thanks. I'll probably have to get something heavier than 10lb line if I'm going to put 5 ounces on it! LOL

bass
bass
Great job on toughing out the perch! I have not fished for them in a while but I love to do it when I get a chance. Thanks for the motivation!

F
fishinmachine
Nice! Tasty critters.

G
gmcnair
Went fishing off Horsefall Beach north of Coos Bay and the bite was really slow. 4 of us were fishing and one fellow had 4, and I only had two. The surf was up and the fish were way out and I needed my big pole to cast that far. Going to try again tomorrow. One hole is right off the parking lot and the next one is way up the beach.

Met a new fellow who was well versed in perch fishing. He is a Vietnam vetran of the Army artillery. We are going digging sand shrimp tomorrow and will hit the perch again. The day before he caught 5 big fatties so maybe it will be better tomorrow. I went Empire clamming and found a spot with monster clams.