Perch fishing @ Otter Rock

O
Oregonite
How is the Perch fishing at Otter rock at low tide? It's been over 5 years since I have fished there using sand shrimp.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Welcome aboard Oregonite! Tell us a little about yourself(Meet and Greet section on this fourm) I went perch fishing just north of Otter Rock at Lincoln Beach in the early am. I was to host 8 guys from Mich. state but that turned out to be a no-show from them. So I went anyway I worked for 1 1/2hrs till hightide. Got into two sets of schoolies of perch. Caught a few and switched to my fly rod set-up and all hell broke loose. it was a beutiful day once once the sun came out. The fish tacos were even grater at sunset. Now until june is the time to start fishing for perch. Saw a few rockfish caught and I caught four kelp bass about two pounds each. I must have released almost two dozen fat mama perch. Squid and shrimp was the ticket. Fishing Rock was the spot and trailhead to the beach below. Let us know how you do. GL Tony

bass
bass
I have read of folks catching surf perch on a fly rod. There is a fellow down in CA who posted a lot of information. Super cool that you have done that up here Tony!

What kind of outfit did you use? Did you use a shooting head or just a regular fly line? What kind of flies? I am not sure I will ever get around to trying it, but it does seem like an amazingly cool adventure.

O
Oregonite
Casting Call said:
Welcome aboard Oregonite! Tell us a little about yourself(Meet and Greet section on this fourm) I went perch fishing just north of Otter Rock at Lincoln Beach in the early am. I was to host 8 guys from Mich. state but that turned out to be a no-show from them. So I went anyway I worked for 1 1/2hrs till hightide. Got into two sets of schoolies of perch. Caught a few and switched to my fly rod set-up and all hell broke loose. it was a beutiful day once once the sun came out. The fish tacos were even grater at sunset. Now until june is the time to start fishing for perch. Saw a few rockfish caught and I caught four kelp bass about two pounds each. I must have released almost two dozen fat mama perch. Squid and shrimp was the ticket. Fishing Rock was the spot and trailhead to the beach below. Let us know how you do. GL Tony
Hey Tony, Thanks for the heads up on the perch fishing. Like you I am also a fly fisherman but have never tried it in the ocean. Would 7 weight forward floating line be adequate for the ocean? I suspect streamers would be the type of fly. What size and pattern works and leader size? If at all possible would you please show some pictures of the flies? Thanks, Greg

Casting Call
Casting Call
Oregonite said:
Hey Tony, Thanks for the heads up on the perch fishing. Like you I am also a fly fisherman but have never tried it in the ocean. Would 7 weight forward floating line be adequate for the ocean? I suspect streamers would be the type of fly. What size and pattern works and leader size? If at all possible would you please show some pictures of the flies? Thanks, Greg
Hey Bass & OR... 8wt,9.6ft,heavier or longer, 10ft of t-14, twisted braided leader, shrimp flies or any streamer 2" or less. Anything pink or red,even orange will do. With a weighted line find a drop-off and a school perch ,then switch to a bug stick. Kids love perch fishing with worms also. Once you hit a school of perch your in for it. GL guys, Tony