Passing the torch

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
My goodness it’s been years since I posted on OFF. I don’t fish nearly as much as I used to, kids and hunting take all my time but I’m not complaining!

The father-in-law and I took my two kids and my niece to Big Creek 2 outside Newport last weekend, and it was a blast. Harmony (my niece) did the majority of the fish landing, my son Roman put a couple on the bank, and my daughter Gracie caught her first fish!

We ended up just keeping two adult limits of 5 rainbows a piece but released quite a few. Two were trophies, the rest were in the 9-11” range. It’s a lot more fun watching the kids.

• D199EDF2-5C44-4138-8C03-AE707FFCB244.jpeg
  • 6A28CFD2-5D49-4E1C-BC8E-92879FB83FF2.jpeg
  • 15E82D45-78AC-4607-AAB1-A9147272E7C9.jpeg
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheKnigit, FairweatherFisher, Crayfishy and 6 others
troutdude
troutdude
That’s what it’s all about man!

My oldest niece got her first one there several years ago.

Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller and Casting Call
Diehard
Diehard
Looks like a great day good on you my kids are all grown now and busy with life but I can't wait to get out with the grandkids this summer and get after some trout at least they still think I'm interesting haha!

Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller
Casting Call
Casting Call
troutdude said:
That’s what it’s all about man!

My oldest niece got her first one there several years ago.
Angler Education is what it is all about! Keep the bloodline of fishing alive. Tony

Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller and troutdude
Crayfishy
Crayfishy
From what I remember, but I'm not sure, that's where I'm pretty sure I caught my first fish, and first trophy trout. Big Creek Reservoir is always a great place to do some trout fishing.

Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller
troutdude
troutdude
That place holds a LOT of perch too!

Crayfishy
Crayfishy
troutdude said:
That place holds a LOT of perch too!
Perch?? I've never caught or even heard of perch in big creek, are they in a specific part of the reservoir?

troutdude
troutdude
Crayfishy said:
Perch?? I've never caught or even heard of perch in big creek, are they in a specific part of the reservoir?
Yeah I went to Big Creek 2 (upper reservoir); some 10-15 years ago. It was in October, I believe, and the water level was the lowest that I have ever seen it. I was casting from my float tube and literally caught dozens of perch. With a bobber and worm I think. The biggest was maybe 9 or 10 inches. But most were smaller. I didn't know that it held perch, until that day.

Reactions: Casting Call
troutdude
troutdude
Reactions: SiletzTroutKiller and Casting Call
Crayfishy
Crayfishy
troutdude said:
Yeah I went to Big Creek 2 (upper reservoir); some 10-15 years ago. It was in October, I believe, and the water level was the lowest that I have ever seen it. I was casting from my float tube and literally caught dozens of perch. With a bobber and worm I think.
I'll have to check that out this weekend! You got me curious!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Jay I believe what you caught back in the day was crappie. Are they perch? LOL Tony

troutdude
troutdude
Casting Call said:
Jay I believe what you caught back in the day was crappie. Are they perch? LOL Tony
No sir. I've caught lots of both. They were Perch.