Parks/public land with bank access....?

C
chrisohm
I had to edit this! I am looking for Willamette River info.

I know of the dock on the West Linn side below the falls. I know about Clackamette Park and Meldrum Bar. I know where Kelly point is but I am sure there are other areas that provide decent bank access for some sturgeon fishing. I don't want your secret spots and I am curious about areas above the falls. I just need some general ideas where I can start. I was out yesterday by Meldrum and lost some bait but it was more about making sure my rod/reel could do the job. I saw the boats starting to stack up and today I saw even more. Lots of people and the dock was shoulder to shoulder show. If anyone could point me to some other areas I would greatly appreciate it. I have scoured our forum and Ifish for as much info as possible. I will say that the video in a previous thread about bait rigging is amazing! I could even use the same rigging for jetty fishing. Thanks for being the best forum out there peeps and I hope to get some replies soon before next weekend!!

H
hunt-fish-trap
above the falls is asking for secret spots. below the falls EVERY SPOT THAT IS GOOD WILL BE SHOULDER TO SHOULDER this friday and saturday and next friday and saturday because it will be the only time to keep them. if you just want to catch and release then wait till sunday and hit the docks below the falls and you will catch fish. and the only trick to baiting is having ur weight on a slider. good luck

C
chrisohm
I know of 2 spots above the falls near Canby already. By reading in some older threads I have narrowed down a few more areas. On a different day when my son is not around I may try the dock but in our quest for a large fish I would be stupid to take my son down there. Too risky for a keeper or for C & R. I'm not going to be that dad. Mary S. Young park, for example, would be a suggestion but not a secret hole. Not sure I would want to hike around with a huge fish. Give me the name of a park and I will do the rest. I have no boat so that limits me to bank access only unless one of my lazy friends puts one in the water! I use a slider for my weight, it was keeping my bait on and that has been solved.

A
alm21
hunt-fish-trap said:
...and next friday and saturday because it will be the only time to keep them...

Oh I wish that were true but it looks like it's shutting down after today. Really bummed because I have a trip booked for the 25th. Guess I'll be doing c&r. :(

C
chrisohm
alm21 said:
Oh I wish that were true but it looks like it's shutting down after today. Really bummed because I have a trip booked for the 25th. Guess I'll be doing c&r. :(

That's crazy! 2 days and the quota was met...? You can still do some bay fishing but check the online regs for updates. Oh well, just a few more weeks and those springers will be coming in a little thicker. Might just do some jetty fishing with this extra bait I have...:D

H
hunt-fish-trap
yeh Im gunna be watching odfw website to see any changes. I had a trooper tell me its closed after saturday and I said what about next weekend? not my area he said. I think most of the troopers out there only know what is told to them that day. hell they wanted to inspect my boat and I asked if the current coast guard sticker wasn't good enough for them. they didn't know what that sticker was even for.

F
fish4life
I dont buy it, last year it was open for 10 days to get 2700 fish and this year 2 days for 1900 fish.

N
Noahk
Hit George Rogers Park in Lake Oswego. If you hike up river about 1/2 a mile from the parking lot there are a couple trails down to the water. There are some rocks you can fish off of there and the area below it is 90-100 feet deep. There are still lots of fish in the area and I saw a number of oversized landed this weekend. It should be good action for you and your boy, especially when the water warms up a bit.