Panther Martin

U
Username
Some people swear by the fishing gods panther martin is the best lure ever. To this day I have not so much as had a bite on one. What color and size should I use? I have to be doing something wrong.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Panther Martin are spinner/ jigs/ fly combos. Use "Andy Reeker spoons" they come in all sizes trout/salmon or just change up to fit the ambiant conditions. Good luck Tony

troutdude
troutdude
Panther's have never really produced, for me either. IMO ditch them; and get some Fire Tiger pattern Rooster Tails. I've had TONS of luck with 'em.

Fire Tiger Rooster Tail.jpg

B
Big3d
I like Panthers in fast water. I do well with the black and yellow for cutties in summer flows on some of my favorite rivers. However, I would say that in most cases a rooster tail or a Blue fox will give you better odds. I like that the panther always spins, rooster tails are a 50/50 and foxes can get easily wrapped up if you have any line twist.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I'm a big fan of inline spinners but prefer the Worden's Vibric with offset body weight...BiMart sells the Pink and Blue only, lots more colors/patterns can be ordered from Yakima Bait...

Last edited by a moderator:
K
killigan
I have always been a Blue Fox spinner kind of guy, but Bi-Mart had some Panther Martin's on special recently, so I picked up a few. I went with the size 6 (1/4 oz), one was all silver, the other gold with holographic sticker on the blade. Took them down to the Middle Fork of the Willamette with my ultra-light rod and the trout seemed to like them. Landed 7 out of 13 hookups. The all silver one worked the best that day. Cheers

bass
bass
I use roostertails and panther martins quite a bit when I am trolling for trout at Hagg or casting for trout in small streams. Usually for trolling I pick roostertails first and for casting in small streams I pick panther martins first. I find that the panther martins do seem to cast a bit better and spin easier.

I mostly use the 1/24oz roostertail (my favorite colors are lime green/gold blade and pink/silver blade). For Panther martins I mostly use the 1/32oz size (also a great panfish lure). The colors I like are the yellow body, red spots, silver blade or black body, yellow spots gold blade. I carry a ton of different sizes and colors of each of those lures but I usually end up picking from those 4.

I don't really use inline spinners much other than for trout fishing.

F
Fishpdx
I used to fish rooster tails for trout but I always had casting problems and the blade wouldn't spin, switched to panther martin and had more luck they cast further and spin easier. I mostly fish them in streams or low rocky water.

O
OnTheDrop
Panther Martins are some of THE BEST in my opinion. They are much stronger than a rooster tail, and have accounted for many trout and steelhead for myself.

H
Hookset
I also do very well with the Panther spinner I prefer the black with yellow spots gold blade.

bass
bass
Carp said:
I used to fish rooster tails for trout but I always had casting problems and the blade wouldn't spin, switched to panther martin and had more luck they cast further and spin easier. I mostly fish them in streams or low rocky water.

I don't like casting roostertails and I agree that panther martins cast better and spin easier. That is why I like them when I am casting.

When I started trolling at Hagg I used to panther martins on both rods. They one slow day I switched a roostertail on one rod and I started catching fish on that rod. The funny thing is that the only reason I had any roostertails at all is because my brother always loved them and I still had some from when he came to visit years ago (he insisted on using them). Over time I have used the panther martins less and less while trolling. However, last trip out. The bite was slow on the roostertails and eventually I put on a panther martin and that rod caught all but one of my afternoon fish.

To be honest, I can't even believes it matters which one I use when I am trolling but I can't argue with success.

D
DrTheopolis
The "new and improved" version of the Rooster Tail is the Bang Tail, which is a far superior lure, IMO.

Troutski
Troutski
Panthers...

Panthers...

Hookset said:
I also do very well with the Panther spinner I prefer the black with yellow spots gold blade.

Every lure has its place, I do agree with Hookset; I do very well with Panther's. I do clean mine, along with a very small amount of Shrimp Oil to keep
'em shinny... My family teases me about cleaning my tackle, I'm - lets say a bit over board. I'm good with it...

Chuck

F
fish4life
I like the silver blade with yellow body with red dots in a size 4 for trout and a size 6 for bass, I have caught many bass and trout on this color.