Octos in March ?

F
FlyBum
Out on the Met today and the October Caddis were flying around pretty good still! :shock: That is one reason why I tied the bigger pattern for the Fly Swap. So, OnTheFly (Jim) are these what you saw out there last time?? Shawn got a nice Bull today (most pics are on his cam) I hoked a S-ton of whities and two Bulls, but no good pics. We went exploring and found some new spots! :dance:

But on Saturday we douched it up around town trying out a few lines more than we were actually trying to catch a fish. Had to work on a Saturday, but was nice enough to get out for a sec and make a few casts :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
looks like october caddis to me! i read of a species very similar and often mistaken for october caddis that hatches on the met.. silver stripe caddis or something like that.. you never know!

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
looks like october caddis to me! i read of a species very similar and often mistaken for october caddis that hatches on the met.. silver stripe caddis or something like that.. you never know!

Dude, they are October Caddis! The thing is that they are still flying around in March, very interesting don't you think?

Randy I'll put up a pic in that thread, and dig through some photos to see what else I may have :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
Dude, they are October Caddis! The thing is that they are still flying around in March, very interesting don't you think?

Randy I'll put up a pic in that thread, and dig through some photos to see what else I may have :)

not saying they are not, i can see that they are by the pic, but there are some that look a lot like em out there too :D

F
FlyBum
Ya, they're makin their way back to the "Big Pond" may have one more good month left, but there will be other things very very soon ;)

O
OnTheFly
Yup! Those are the ones. Biggest caddis I've seen. Looks like a moth when they fly. Nice fish...and backpack.;):cool:

V
Van
Nice pics Flybum. BTW, you need to rough up your fingers a bit. They look baby soft....

S
steelhead_slayer
I have seen them out there the past couple time i went. yesterday was the only time i've seen a riser though, and it was nice looking rainbow

A
Arlen
FlyBum said:

They are indeed "October" Caddis. But while this caddisfly has a longer adult lifetime than most (~3 weeks), the fall emergers are not still flying around. The Metolius is a spring creek with a different water temperature regime than other Cascades streams. It's unique in having TWO hatches per year of our little Dicosmoecus friends!

M
mlw
Hi Arlen, nice to see you here - and thank you for that tidbit of entomological curiosity. For those who don't know Arlen, his book "Bugwater" is priceless for those seeking to deceive NW trout.
Michael

B
bigsteel
Hey its Arlen,i really like your book sir.

A
Arlen
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. And for the book plug! :)

F
FlyBum
Arlen said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. And for the book plug! :)

I was hoping there may a "Bug Geek" around here, Welcome! :)