Northern pikeminnow etiquette :confused:

H
Homebrewmike
I was fishing Dabney a couple of weeks ago and caught a Northern Pikeminnow, and I guy on the bank next to me told me to toss it into the weeds to let it become bird food. Now I know that these fish are bad for the smolts in the river, but it seemed cruel to so even considering the fish. I'm a little ashamed to say that I did it since the guy was older than me and I assumed knew a little more about what was right and not right. My questions is what is the right thing to do about this in the future? I know that on the Columbia there is a bounty on them, but I was at Dabney on the Sandy.

Reactions: steelhead1
T
Throbbit _Shane
Do what ever you think is it right! They are a native fish and the only reason they have a bounty on the Columbia is because of the dams, which they thrive in the slack water behind them.

M
Modest_Man
Here's an interesting read on pikeminnow -

They get a very bad rap for being a native fish. LARGE (over 13") pikeminnow feed on juvenile salmon and steelhead. Smaller ones really don't. They're also only really over abundant in slack water behind dams (like Shane said), hence the reward program on the Columbia, specifically below the Dalles Dam. I let them all go personally.

Although northern pikeminnow are a native species and have always preyed upon juvenile salmonids, development of the Columbia River hydropower system has likely
increased the level of predation. Dams have slowed water velocity and decreased turbidity, effects which have increased exposure time of juvenile salmonids to predators and probably also increased predation success. Development of the hydropower system has also resulted in increased water temperatures, and therefore increased predator activity and consumption. Dams concentrate prey in forebay and tailrace areas, further increasing the likelihood of predation. Juvenile salmonids in dam tailraces are likely disoriented from passage through or around turbines, spillways, or bypass systems, increasing their vulnerability to predation.

In "natural" systems where northern pikeminnow or related pikeminnow speciescoexist with anadromous salmonids, Brown and Moyle (1981) found that predation by
pikeminnow in streams was minimal except near dams and other structures, and Buchanan et al. (1981) found that predation on salmonids by northern pikeminnow was
minimal in free-flowing reaches of the Willamette River. Beamesderfer and Rieman (1991) and Ward et al. (1995) confirmed that northern pikeminnow densities were
highest near dams, and Vigg et al. (1991) and Ward et al. (1995) confirmed that consumption rates are also highest near dams. Together, these studies suggest that the
predation impact of northern pikeminnow in the Columbia and Snake rivers today is likely much greater than what it may have been prior to construction of dams.

To paraphrase - they only prey on large amounts of salmon and steelhead where humans have screwed things up.

The PDF is a good read for those who think that WDFW/ODFW don't put any thought into their management plans. It describes in detail why the program is in place, how it works, what its aim is, and what it has accomplished.

S
steelhead1
Gotta love it when you arrive at one of your favorite spots and some D bag has left a pile of rotting, stinking "trash fish" for you to enjoy. Not to mention the dog, who will roll in it,then consume as much as he can before you catch him doing it,then puke it up all over the back of your rig on the way home. Does one really make a significant difference in the populations of invasive(or just undesirable) species,by killing a FEW? Respect for every creatures right to exist,something you could consider before mindlessly destroying a living thing. I am not trying to convince not to kill, just think about it, and make your own decision.:D

Reactions: TTFishon
D
DYJ
I release em unless crabbing over in Florence is good.

troutdude
troutdude
If you feel the need to kill them; at least put them to good use. Add their carcasses to your garden as fertilizer. However, like it was penned above: killing only a few at a time, wont equal much in terms of population control.

M
Modest_Man
Population control is not needed unless you're on the Columbia below the Dalles Dam...

B
Big3d
I was at clackamette cove a few days back and caught several, threw all back in, If i kept and cut them, could they be good sturgeon bait? the thought crossed my mind but I didn't bother on that trip

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude said:
If you feel the need to kill them; at least put them to good use. Add their carcasses to your garden as fertilizer. However, like it was penned above: killing only a few at a time, wont equal much in terms of population control.

I would add that it's my understanding that legally, one has to put them to some sort of use and can't just toss them in the nearby bushes after catching:

2012 Oregon General Regulations, Restrictions

The following activities are unlawful:

10. Wasting fish, shellfish or marine intertidal invertebrates.

T
TTFishon
You could always try eating them. They're not bad.

O
OnTheFly
steelhead1 said:
Gotta love it when you arrive at one of your favorite spots and some D bag has left a pile of rotting, stinking "trash fish" for you to enjoy. Not to mention the dog, who will roll in it,then consume as much as he can before you catch him doing it,then puke it up all over the back of your rig on the way home. Does one really make a significant difference in the populations of invasive(or just undesirable) species,by killing a FEW? Respect for every creatures right to exist,something you could consider before mindlessly destroying a living thing. I am not trying to convince not to kill, just think about it, and make your own decision.:D
Perfect! I can really relate to the dog thing.

H
Homebrewmike
I'll give this fish credit it put up a fight and seemed bigger that it was. In the future I'll jst C&R the few that I catch. Thanks everyone!

B
B.W.SINNER
ive used them for sturgeon bait and done ok but i think there are better baits out there! last weekend i caught one while fishing for sturgeon that measured 24" and i hestitated on throwing it back but i decided to kill it but i made sure it didint go to waist and saved it for crawdading the next day and im glade i did because it gave me a reason to get the wife and kids out for a day at the river and me and the wife got ours limits on crawdads also but normally id thow them back just out of respect

O
ohiojarhead
troutdude said:

ditto. Fertilizer. Pat