North Santiam steelhead

S
stinger believer
I've been fishing in stayton every weekend since early march and haven't touched a fish yet. I got several out of that stretch last year, so I'm fairly confident in my abilities, and the numbers are decent enough that I know there are fish around. Anyone else having trouble this year? Just me? Any help or suggestions/PMs are appreciated. I've fished everything from roe, shrimp, jigs, corkies, spinners, top, bottom, holes, riffles... Frustrating

B
Bgunder
Just keep at it, your perseverance will pay off eventually as I am sure you already know.It took me over two years to finally bank my first steel and that wasn't for lack of trying or not using the right techniques, just bad luck I guess. They are called summer runs for a reason though and it can only get better from here!!

M
Metz84
Like what BG said keep at it. It's still early in the season. I haven't touched a steelhead on this river since the beginning of the month and I go 2 to 3 times a week. With the warmer weather moving in, so will the fish.

P
perfectg03
stinger believer said:
I've been fishing in stayton every weekend since early march and haven't touched a fish yet. I got several out of that stretch last year, so I'm fairly confident in my abilities, and the numbers are decent enough that I know there are fish around. Anyone else having trouble this year? Just me? Any help or suggestions/PMs are appreciated. I've fished everything from roe, shrimp, jigs, corkies, spinners, top, bottom, holes, riffles... Frustrating

Move around, don't just stick to the same spot. Cover lots of water for the best odds. I have been catching 1-2 a trip for the past 3 weeks.

M
mcurranb
I was planning on fishing today for trout and the state trooper told me trout is closed till the end of may. Why is that?

S
stinger believer
I don't fish the same spot. I have about 8-9 different slots/holes I usually fish over a 1 mile stretch. What kind of water have you been fishing and what techniques? Are you fishing the stayton area as well or are you fishing up high?

S
stinger believer
mcurranb said:
I was planning on fishing today for trout and the state trooper told me trout is closed till the end of may. Why is that?

I believe it is to protect salmon/steelhead smolts. Most people don't know the difference between them an trout and might keep them.