North or south Santiam?

E
Explorer21
I've never fished either one, and was wondering which would be better for the steelies right now. Still looking for my first summer this year sadly.. Any tips would be great

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Personally, I love the north. I have seen some monsters jumping at Packsaddle...

troutdude
troutdude
I've been keeping up, on the South, via a co-worker who lives in Sweet Home. The hatchery stopped recycling, some time ago. So, you'll really only find fish up near the dam. Plus, the water levels have been fluctuating from the dam so much--that it pretty much shot the whole season to heck in a hand basket.

Based upon that intel...I'd stick with the North.

E
Explorer21
Thanks for the info, hopefully first time at that river will be good luck for me. I hooked into a spawning out Chinook on the trask this past week. No steelies found on that river or Wilson. Time to try something new and hope it works!!

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I agree with Troutdude. The North is the way to go for steelhead. But if you're interested the ODFW does stock the Quartzville Creek (which I believe to be part of the South fork Santiam) with rainbow trout this time of year and there are suppose to be Brookies in there too. I was working in the woods alongside Quartzville last week with some of the County Parks guys and they said the river is stocked frequently. But as for steelhead the North is your best shot

E
Explorer21
Thanks for the info, may hit that then for some trout if not getting anything, plus I have a life goal of catching something from every river and lake on Oregon!

N
n8r1
That's quite a goal. I remember reading somewhere that there are over 6000 lakes in Oregon. Not to mention all the rivers we have too. Better start fishing! :)

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Explorer21 said:
Thanks for the info, may hit that then for some trout if not getting anything, plus I have a life goal of catching something from every river and lake on Oregon!

Awesome list to have under your belt

H
halibuthitman
with summer steelhead it getting to be the time of year to focus on Columbia river tribs, most other runs are earlier in their peaks, myself I would just drive over hw 84 to where the big D dumps in the Columbia, park at the campground and walk the trail up the river and catch a fish.. probably an edible chromer to boot... instead of a boot, but the Columbia has been fishing insanely well from the bank for float and plunk fishermen, heck, up by Bonneville you can actually swing spoons and spinners for them, the North Santiam is a great river, and I have done reasonably well every time ive been there... but its not the odds bet I would be looking at right now- good luck

E
Explorer21
Thanks for that info halibut.. Where could i fish along the columbia? I've never fished it from the bank..

H
halibuthitman
P.M sent