No salmon, but the sturgeon bite was hot!

bass
bass
Had another great day of fishing this weekend. I tried for springers from 9-noon with no success. Lots of folks around fishing for springers and I did not see any fish caught. I did even see the sea lions get any fish – the salmon just were not around. I decided that was enough of that foolishness and so I broke out my trusty sturgeon rod and decided to see if they were feeling cooperative. They definitely were! The bite was really hot. I caught 11 fish in 4 ½ hours and missed and lost several more. I have attached pics of my 4 biggest. It is hard to tell from the photo but the one fish was a real pig. It is angled a little funny but was pushing 50” and one of the fattest sturgeon I have ever caught. The fight was really exciting. A couple of minutes into the fight he came out of the water and made a really high, spectacular jump, which pretty much every salmon fisherman around me got to see. Then after a long fight with a lot of drag stripping I was able to wrestle it into the kayak for a quick picture. In the background of the picture you can see a little girl on shore. The folks there were having some kind of a big cookout and everyone cheered when I landed that fish :) For the rest of the day I had a lot of folks comment on the jump that fish made. What a great day on the water!

I also want to thank the power boaters who anchored near me, but then realized they were crowding me and then moved and re-anchored (which is of course a big chore). I really appreciate that courtesy and I was really happy to see you all getting some sturgeon action as well!

S
Santiam338
I am one of those that troll salmon all day,bite or no bite...One of these days I am going to drop anchor...LOL

Nicely done..

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice fish! my dad and some other family members were out slaying the yesterday i guess someone caught a 9 footer

R
rippin fish lips
Nice lookin fish! Gotta love fishing in Oregon!! :D

bass
bass
brandon4455 said:
nice fish! my dad and some other family members were out slaying the yesterday i guess someone caught a 9 footer

Wow a 9 footer would be awesome. I was amazed at how many folks stuck with the salmon fishing. Even the sea lions left the area I was fishing :) What an amazing place we live where the "consolation" fish for the day are many feet long!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah they said there were a lot of people salmon fishing and a ton of seals..lots of springers were rolling through that day

S
steelhead_slayer
bass said:
Wow a 9 footer would be awesome. I was amazed at how many folks stuck with the salmon fishing. Even the sea lions left the area I was fishing :) What an amazing place we live where the "consolation" fish for the day are many feet long!!

My uncle just told me they were out there and caught a 9 footer and 7 footer plus a few around 2 feet. Might be the fish you heard about

M
minnowmagnet
Sturgeon rod- never leave home without it.

When they jump next to the kayak it always gets me wet.
Nice going and thanks for the pics.

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
Sturgeon rod- never leave home without it.

When they jump next to the kayak it always gets me wet.
Nice going and thanks for the pics.

Thanks minnowmagnet. Perhaps we should all name our sturgeon rods American Express :)