No rain, oh well!

M
markasd
Went out in today in hopes of some rain, get the water up and fish moving and eating. Never happened! Hit the river at bright-o-eleven am, get to my parking spot only to find that the logging outfit cut down all the trees at the parking spot!! DOH!! Oh well.. guess it was time for a change.
Got up to "the ol' man slot" and no luck... didn't spot a one! Next hole up, bunch of spawners.. moved on, and on and yes - on some more. Passed up all the spawning 'nooks, get to the next nice slot and flip cast out on a nice seam and fish on! Cool.. then hook in face after about a minute of fighting... straighten out yet another gami jig hook. Tie on another jig - red this time, I have no more Midnight Runs... Cast the next slot, fish on - fish off just as fast! Flip it back in there, notta.. and again, notta. Moved up to the next slot about 25' above the last and saw a little fish layin' there... first cast - WHAM! Too cool... kept him up there, he even tried to go up the riffles to the next frog water section, but I got him over quick.. released. Took me a little break, had about a ten minute break then went back down to the last one I missed and managed to catch him on two casts.
Was a killer way to end my year out there... I don't get to hit it like I used to so the few times a year I get out there are pretty special for me. Was a good day.
Just checked NOAA and it looks like its on the rise finally.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
SALTYFISH
I also have had problems with gami jig hooks. Either bend/break, and I only use 8lb line. Sounds like a great day on the water though.

Mike

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds like you had a very good day. Hope you get back out again soon.

J
JeannaJigs
Sounds like a great day! I've had a ton of those gamakatsu jig hooks snap on me. I haven't used them in two years since I switched over to owners, not a single broken or straightened out hook to date, way superior jig hook IMO

M
markasd
This was a size two hook. A few years ago a buddy and I got a "deal" on a bunch of size 1 and 2 gami's, no deal when you put an 6 lb fish on and it bends out with ANY pressure. I quit using em about 2-3 years ago as well, but some how this one slipped through. Wonder how many others in my quiv are gami's!
Looking at NOAA this morning it looks like its on the rise!!

M
Mad dog
markasd said:
This was a size two hook. A few years ago a buddy and I got a "deal" on a bunch of size 1 and 2 gami's, no deal when you put an 6 lb fish on and it bends out with ANY pressure. I quit using em about 2-3 years ago as well, but some how this one slipped through. Wonder how many others in my quiv are gami's!
Looking at NOAA this morning it looks like its on the rise!!

Nice job on the fish!!! I love low water steelheading! The lower it gets, the better I do!

I don't know what it is with Gamakatsu jigs hooks? Barely heavy enough for shad!

R
rippin fish lips
Nice report bro! Looks like you had a nice day on the water! i had a ncie day as well! keep up the good work.