Newberg area fishing report

bass
bass
I fished out of Newberg today looking for the elusive upper river sturgeon for the fourth time. Again I did not get a sturgeon. I believe I had a bite from one but I had forgotten to re-tighten my drag at the start of the day (I loosen drags between trips since it is better for the washers). It was a good strong bite (different from all the pecking that was going on all morning) and when I tightened up to set the hook the fish ripped a bunch of line out and then came off. Felt like a good sized fish.

What I did catch. After a while I was curious who was constantly pecking at my bait so I put a worm on my drop shot rig and lowered it down. I caught several pikieminnow doing this before I got bored. I did cut one up and try it for sturgeon later in the day but did not get a bite.

After about 5 hours of this I decided to try a little bass fishing even though it was the start of a cold snap. I pulled into a little area that is protected from the current and I started slow rolling a spinnerbait through the area. I was not expecting anything but it was a nice change from sitting on anchor. After about 10 minutes I felt like I had a strike, but then passed it off to wishful thinking. About 10 casts later - wham, fish on:

A14e8xU.jpg

Not was I was expecting. That thing was huge. I continued to work the small protected area, switching off between the spinnerbait and crawling a crankbait along. When I got the edge of the current I had another strike on the spinnerbait and this fish felt a little better. I carefully worked the fish and was surprised by this nice 2.5lb largemouth:

YZXcjRC.jpg

The fish is curling away from the camera a bit so the pic does not do it justice. I also was impressed by this fishes coloration. I don't think I have ever caught a largemouth with such a pronounced side stripe, it almost looks more like a spotted bass. Well after that fish, I worked the area for a bit longer but did not get any more strikes.

Towards the end of the day I marked some fish in some faster water where it dropped from 10' to about 20'. I thought this is going to be it. I tried nightcrawlers and sent them down to bottom. After a few minutes I got a good bite and set the hook. It felt like a shaker sturgeon! However, when I got it to the kayak it turned out to be a big sucker. I caught several in that spot. I assume that is what I was marking. I tried switching to a chunk of squawfish, but on that I did not get bit at all. After a bit I moved on.

So after a long day of sitting in the rain with the wind blowing in my face I decided to call it a day. As I got to the ramp the rain stopped. As I loaded up my kayak the sun broke out and felt really great after spending a fair bit of the day shivering. A beautiful end to day of fishing that was at times disappointing and at others exhilarating. That's just fishing I guess.

T
TimberTodd
Great report! Looks like a fun day shivering in the yak.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Sounds like a good day on the river! thanks for the great pics and the details. I want to launch out of Rogers Landing and troll for some bass around Ash Island in April or May. Looks like the current up that way is moving at a crawl right now. It would be fun to fish all the way to the mouth of the Yamhill and back from Rogers.

That is great color on the largemouth!

bass
bass
TimberTodd said:
Great report! Looks like a fun day shivering in the yak.

The morning was pretty nice, but once the rain and wind started it was blowing right into my face. That always feels pretty darn cold! It was a fun day. I am really looking forward to fishing that area again.

bass
bass
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It said:
Sounds like a good day on the river! thanks for the great pics and the details. I want to launch out of Rogers Landing and troll for some bass around Ash Island in April or May. Looks like the current up that way is moving at a crawl right now. It would be fun to fish all the way to the mouth of the Yamhill and back from Rogers.

That is great color on the largemouth!

Even though the current is light, it is relatively faster than on the lower river. Going up around the main channel around Ash island there was a fair bit of current. Not nearly as much as near Rock Island, but more than the lower river. Near the launch the river is a lot wider and deeper and the current is quite light.

There is a lot of very bassy looking water there. Lots of shallow shelves that drop into deep water. I will definitely being going back to that area.

That bass did have some amazing markings on it. I wish I had felt its tongue for teeth to see if it was a spotted bass (they have teeth on their tongues).

troutdude
troutdude
Great report.

I've not heard of any spotted bass in Oregon before. Are there some?

bass
bass
troutdude said:
Great report.

Not sure, but I used to catch them sometimes in the Allegheny river in Pittsburgh. That bass sure looks like a spotted! Maybe modest_man can chime in on the issue.

E
eugene1
Good luck on your quest to get a sturg on the upper, Looks like you're doing everything right, which I have to admire!

Best,

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
Great report.

Yes. Lost Creek Reservoir in southern Oregon has spotted bass.

T
troutmasta
Nice report! you'll get that illusive gator this year!;)

That island has some seriously large bass hiding around it!

bass
bass
troutmasta said:
Nice report! you'll get that illusive gator this year!;)

That island has some seriously large bass hiding around it!

Thanks troutmasta for all of the great advice and information. You really helped to make Saturday into a successful and enjoyable day! I will find that mysterious upper river gator yet. It will just be that much sweeter when I finally hit paydirt.

I
igot_it
I work at a park right across from Newberg and had a camper report that they caught and released a 32 inch sturgeon off our dock. Apparently they are in that section.

T
troutmasta
I saw some little kids (like 10 years old) hook an oversizer from the Newberg dock one time with a cut up pike minnow. 10 year old kid stopping boat traffic with an 8 foot fish. Thought Id seen it all...

bass
bass
TM, are trying to make me feel bad. "Hey John, 10 year olds can't keep oversized off their lines at Newberg. Why can't you even catch a shaker" :)

T
troutmasta
Negitive Ghost Rider.

Just inspriring ya!

K
kenr74
Did you have any luck in the channel north of Ash Island? I put my kayak in there but haven't fished it at all from the boat. Tried a couple times from the paddle lauch shore but no luck.

bass
bass
I have only fished that area once, but I caught the fish in the pics out of that channel, but upstream from the kayak launch. Troutmasta really knows that area well and he recommended that channel. I have not been back since I posted my report. That is only because of hectic weekend family schedules and not because I did not like that area - it was a really nice place to fish. When I went I launched out of the boat ramp in Newberg (Roger's landing). That was a really nice place to launch from.

When I went past the paddle launch area it looked like you had to go down steps to get to the water. Is that correct or would it be possible to roll my kayak on its cart from the parking lot all the way to the water at the paddle launch?

K
kenr74
The paddle lauch has two places to get in the water. They are pretty much right next to each other but the farthest up stream is a graveled "ramp". I usually park up top and carry my kayak down but you could use a cart. The spot with the stairs is pretty slick so I don't use it to launch from. I kayak around the island a lot during the summer but have just started fishing. Hopefully I can try that area out this weekend.

bass
bass
I am going out tomorrow, but I am still up in the air as to whether it will be the upper or lower river. If you see me in my yellow Outback give me a holler.

John

K
kenr74
I did a lap around Ash Island with one bite. Lots of boats our there fishing today.