New to fly fishing, where to go within 75 miles of Beaverton

S
seanandrenee
Girlfriend and I head out about every other weekend for fishing. Up to this point we have been cast/spin fishing because of gear. We do not have a boat so we need walking/driving/hiking access, but both have waders, boots and the willingness to walk/hike. We were just given two 5/6 weight 8 foot poles, I set up one for steelhead/coho and the other for trout as far as line, leader, etc ( I know a bit heavy but we are rookies and they were free ). We are new to fly fishing so would like some suggestions on where to go within reasonable driving distance of the Beaverton (reasonable for us is 75 miles each way) . I have a mixed selection of trout and steelhead flies and not a lot of practice but would like a place where we could perhaps fly fish and also cast/spin/bobber also. Have two pole licenses for each of us so we could do both (of course in landlocked water for the 2nd pole). We are catch and release unless hatchery steelhead, coho, Chinook for eating, or invasive ( oh yeah, we keep all of the tuna on our annul trip cuz they are really tasty ). If you would like to PM with areas that is fine, we are low impact in that we tread lightly and always have a kitchen garbage with us to pick up what garbage we can find. I firmly believe in cleaning where ever I can if needed. Any suggestion would be awesome or if you a fly person and want to have fun teasing and teaching a couple of newbies let me know.

Thanks, Sean and Renne

troutdude
troutdude
I'd suggest the Wilson, and the Nestucca along the coast. Inland, there's the Sandy and upper Clackamas.

I'd also suggest getting a copy of: "Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon", by John Huber (Wilderness Adventures Press, 2nd Edition, 2008).

D
DWFII
ninja2010 said:

How do you come up with these maps? A search on Google? What keywords are you using? Can you narrow the maps down to be more flyfishing specific?

troutdude said:
I'd suggest the Wilson, and the Nestucca along the coast. Inland, there's the Sandy and upper Clackamas.

I'd also suggest getting a copy of: "Flyfisher's Guide to Oregon", by John Huber (Wilderness Adventures Press, 2nd Edition, 2008).

Is that book going to explore or list runs on major rivers such as the N. Santiam or the Wilson? Runs that are suitable for flyfishing more than for bait slinging? holding water? Etc.?

N
ninja2010
DWFII said:
How do you come up with these maps? A search on Google? What keywords are you using? Can you narrow the maps down to be more flyfishing specific?

these maps were created by members of this forum... and they've been modified/added to by other members. most of the waters are fishable with a fly as well.

O
OnTheFly
DWFII said:
Is that book going to explore or list runs on major rivers such as the N. Santiam or the Wilson? Runs that are suitable for flyfishing more than for bait slinging? holding water? Etc.?
Sometimes ya just gotta get out there and look. A book is not going to show you where the fish are but rather give suggestions on river access and popular drifts. As you know, many fishermen have explored their own stretches of water and have found their own private honey holes. I believe that's the key to success and overall fishing pleasure. Good luck out there.:)

V
Van
A 5/6 wt is too light for steelhead. A 7 wt would be the lightest i would go for winters, with an 8 being more appropriate(i use an 8wt). I think a nice coho would snap that 5/6 wt in no time at all. An 8wt should be the lightest for salmon.

Last edited:
D
DWFII
Van said:
A 5/6 wt is too light for steelhead. A 7 wt would be the lightest i would go for winters, with an 8 being more appropriate(i use an 8wt). I think a nice coho would snap that 5/6 wt in no time at all. An 8wt should be the lightest for salmon.

Good advice all in all, but I'm not so sure about snapping the rod, esp. when it comes to two-handed rod that are rated for a 5/6.

The main thing is that you won't have enough backbone to land a larger fish before lactic acid build-up guarantees that it will die...even if released.

A
abel
Another reason is the weight of the fly line propels the fly. A standard 5wt. line for a single had is not capable of appropriately casting most steelhead flies as they are too large and heavy for the fly line.

S
seanandrenee
I have one pole set up with 5 weight floating and the other with 7 weight floating so that I would have some choice, most of the coho that I tend to catch are on the upper sandy and upper eagle creek and tend to be in the less than 15 pound class, would the 7 work or should I also invest in an 8 or 9 (and hence another pole....hate it when I come up with an excuse for another pole)? I know with regular mono line, etc. you don’t save line when re-spooling. Can you hold on to the fly line since the stuff is $30-50+ each time? Thanks for all of the advice, the book title, and the google maps (have used them before and have had them bookmarked at home for a while :) Girlfriend and I went out to the local middle school for some casting practice. Boy have I got a lot of work to do and wind didn't help but we are both set in getting at least moderately proficient with fly too. We are also pretty sure that we will soon take a class from the guy at River City Fly shop. Have been in a few times and he has always been very knowledgeable and personable.