New to carp

C
C_Thomas
Anyone willing to share some local knowledge?

I've spent my most of my fishing life casting to trout in rivers in western Montana. Now that I live in Oregon I've tried my luck at Steelheading (turns out, not much luck to be had) and fishing the "local" trout rivers like the Deschutes. A family friend turned me onto the idea of taking up carpin to which, I've got to admit, I was skeptical. But after doing some research and reading through a few threads on this blog (great stuff btw) I've really gotten excited about the idea of sight fishing for 20+ lb monsters, especially when it can be done on a sunny evening after work.

Anyway, I'd just like to introduce myself to the community. Tomorrow I'm gonna grab my 7 wt and try my luck chucking buggers in the slough near Kelly Island. I'm not sure if I'll have any luck, but hopefully I'll learn something!

I
igquick
Hi how are yah? Im about to post a thread on what type of carp rigs I use and I use a corn rig with a size 2 to 4 hook with a small sliding weight; I'll go more into depth when I post it

If I were you I would ask john montana if you are fly fishing

But once you turn onto marine drive at kelley point park, the first left to a gravel parking lot that overlooks the slough is a good place to start...there are trails that lead down the slough towards smith and bybee lakes

C
C_Thomas
Thanks, Igquick. I think that's exactly what I'll do. It doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate today, but oh well, it'll still be a good chance to scout the area.

J
john montana
Good luck c Thomas! Best advice I can give you is to find feeding fish. You want tailing or slow cruising fish. The sunning fish will just frustrate you and blind casting wooley buggers is going to be tough. You might run into a crazy aggressive fish but the carp out here are pretty passive. You have to feed them. Find feeding fish, put a hybrid or San Juan worm RIGHT on their head and watch for the take. When in doubt...do not move the fly. Let them find it.

If you are local, come by the Orvis store in Bridgeport village on April 27 at 1100. I will be giving a presentation and showing some pictures, answering questions etc...hope to see you there.

C
C_Thomas
Thanks a lot John! I went out to the slough near Kelly Island on Sunday but didn't have any luck. The water was pretty muddy, tough to see more than about an inch through it, is it always that way down there? Definitely couldn't do any sight fishing.

I'll try to make it to your presentation next week. I've seen some of the pics you've posted on here, would definitely like to learn a few more tricks!

J
john montana
I used to fish the slough a lot and if you have good sun you will see the fish. Some areas are clearer than others...I used to just walk the path and cast at the fish I could see near the edges. Head out to sauvie island too...the flooded fields are great for fears on the fly.

Hope to see you next week!

C
C_Thomas
I thought I read on another thread on this site that you most of Sauvie Island is closed to fishing, is that true?

J
john montana
They have a season out there, but I'm reasonably certain it is open as of now...