New fly angler looking for some water.

T
Tai
Hey folks,

I just recently picked up a beginner rod and reel, and have been practicing some basic casting in my yard. I would like to get on some water and practice targeting seams, riffles, etc. So I wanted to get some input on some decent areas around Clackamas out to Estacada. I have waders bought no boat, so something I can possibly walk out to. Thanks!

Tai
with
5/6 wt 8ft rod

W
wozniasm
Barton park would be a good start for you as well as McIver park.
Welcome to the world of fly fishing and good luck!

P
perfectg03
Barton is ok to learn how to cast, but please don't go there to actually fish as you will be harassing the smolts that are still on their way down. The river is loaded with salmon/steelhead smolt that can look like trout to the untrained eye. Go up above north fork reservoir, lots of nice water and a few trout around. Below the reservoir, there are trout, but 99% are smolts so please be careful.

Have fun! Fly fishing is the best.

T
Tai
Thanks perfectg03, this is kind of what i was worried about. I knew that the smolt release was not too long ago, so I was a bit nervous about going down to the Clackamas from McIver and below. Although I will probably go test my newbie skills down there later this summer. Are there any small rivers, streams, or creeks that are in this area that are decent to learn on as well?

PS I willing to travel a bit if there are any suggestions, even to still water. I just want learn :D

perfectg03 said:
Barton is ok to learn how to cast, but please don't go there to actually fish as you will be harassing the smolts that are still on their way down. The river is loaded with salmon/steelhead smolt that can look like trout to the untrained eye. Go up above north fork reservoir, lots of nice water and a few trout around. Below the reservoir, there are trout, but 99% are smolts so please be careful.

Have fun! Fly fishing is the best.

P
perfectg03
You are in a great location, close to a lot of good spots. The whole upper section of the clack from Ripplebrook up is great dry fly water. Lots of little trout and some pretty scenery. The Collawash river is up there on the way to Bagby Hot Springs and provides a good opportunity. The lakes around the area all get stocked often and can be good for both trolling and fishing dry flies. I prefer to use an type II intermediate line (sinks about 1.5-2 inches per second) with any small damsel or natural colored fly. Cast out as far as you can and start a slow troll (this is most effective from a float tube/pontoon). You can also vary your retrieves. Look up stillwater fly fishing on google and you will find lots of great information.

Lakes close by:

North Fork Reservoir
Lake Harriet
Timothy Lake
Olallie Lake
Frog Lake
Clear Lake (Mt. Hood)
Lost Lake (Mt. Hood)
Trillium Lake

Rivers close by:

Upper Clackamas (above Ripplebrook ranger station)
Oak Grove Fork Clackamas river (below Harriet and along road to Timothy Lake)
Collawash River
Breitenbush River
There is also a few creeks around the area that have some native cutthroat but there is lots of restrictions on the creeks draining into the upper clack so check the regs.