New fillet knife!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Got home yesterday and was pooped! Iced my fish down and went to the store to get a fillet knife. I was tired of trying to do a job with the wrong tool. I'm a knife guy and all the fillet knives I have bought suck! more my fault than the knife makers. So I bought a "12 Kershaw and zipped through those Salmon. Didn't know I had it in me. One more lesson of buying the right tool.

• kershaw.jpg
Y
Yogidabear
Take it back and get a bubba knife nothing even comes close.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Yogidabear said:
Take it back and get a bubba knife nothing even comes close.

Agreed! My weapon of choice! 9 Inch Flex! Makes quick work of fish from the largest to small.

Y
Yogidabear
MrGrumpFish said:
Agreed! My weapon of choice! 9 Inch Flex! Makes quick work of fish from the largest to small.

that's the same one I have goes through them like butter, no sawing action just push it threw

EOBOY
EOBOY
Yogidabear said:
that's the same one I have goes through them like butter, no sawing action just push it threw

I happened to be in Fishermans buying hooks and the knife was on sale. It was a spur of the moment buy, I think I got my moneys worth. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to get a flex! The guy there told me it wasn't a flex knife. But he had one and liked it.

EOBOY
EOBOY
sorry forgot pics.

O
OnTheDrop
I have a dexter I use currently and love it. My next one will be a Victorinox.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Forschner Vic............excellent knives!

S
Socaaron
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I have a dexter I use currently and love it. My next one will be a Victorinox.

As a man who makes his living with knives(aka butcher) I advise (personally) against Dexter, I've used many of them over the years and they just don't hold their edge to my satisfaction. Forschners(now sold exclusively as Victorinox) are what every butcher/fishmonger owns and there's a reason. Best bang for your buck and don't forget to invest in a decent steel and learn it's use(it's easy).
If you only own 2 knives for processing your fish my must haves are a 8in breaker(most versatile butchery knife ever) and a 8-10in FULL flex filet knife(specifically for skinning a fish clean). We're not talking about breaking the bank here either guys those two knives together can be had for 50-70bucks and will last forever with proper care.

B
Billamicasr
Another vote for the Forschner.

Attached photo is a couple of slabs from Dec 6, 2006. I believe the knife was pretty close to new in this photo.
My sharpening steel of choice is a 12" long round Henckel. A couple of hits on the steel and the edge is new again; great tool.

And I'm pretty sure it will be my weapon of choice when the Zombies come (watching too many movies).

P.s the blade is 12" don't recall the weight of the Chinook, but the Nestucca puts out some great fish.

P.s.s. As far as makers go... I'm old school. I like Victorinox, Kershaw, Gerber and Buck. Not necessarily in that order, it just depends upon the use.

P.s.s.s. I'm not a pro, but I been cuttin' thing up for quite a while... just sayin'

Last edited:
P
pinstriper
Socaaron said:
As a man who makes his living with knives(aka butcher) I advise (personally) against Dexter, I've used many of them over the years and they just don't hold their edge to my satisfaction. Forschners(now sold exclusively as Victorinox) are what every butcher/fishmonger owns and there's a reason. Best bang for your buck and don't forget to invest in a decent steel and learn it's use(it's easy).
If you only own 2 knives for processing your fish my must haves are a 8in breaker(most versatile butchery knife ever) and a 8-10in FULL flex filet knife(specifically for skinning a fish clean). We're not talking about breaking the bank here either guys those two knives together can be had for 50-70bucks and will last forever with proper care.

Do you view the Bubba as legit or hype ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Socaaron
To be honest I've never used one so i won't make claims on how good they are or aren't, i have the knives i need so i haven't had a reason to buy one. The reality is do they work well and do they hold their edge, that's what matters hype or not

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk