New casting rod... what reel should I look for?

T
the_intimidator03
Well folks I just picked up an 8'6 Lamiglass NW special from a fellow OFFer and need to find myself a decent economical reel for it. Rod is rated for 8-12lb line and 3/8-3/4 oz lure weight. I intend on using it for salmon and steelhead but no particular style of fishing over the other. I do know its a bit short for a proper float rod. But I am sure ill use it for such from time to time. So I just wanted to get your folks opinion on a reel that is available for left hand retrieve that is decent and somewhat economical. I want to get into some fish this summer. there a coming and they arnt waiting

F
fishing_mission
I.have been a shimano chronarch for the past year or so and its been good. Smooth easy casting and durable. A few others to consider would be a curado. Diawa lexa, Abu Garcia sx or stx. There all pretty solid reels. How much you looking to spend.?

T
the_intimidator03
My main issue is i only get paid once a month. so until june its fairly tight. hoping to be able to find a deal on something, probably around 50-75 bucks on the outside until june

F
fishing_mission
You might be able to find a used Abu C4 for that price which would be good for salmon and steelhead

J
joem
you looking for low profile or somthing bigger? i have an older abu on my salmon pole and it works great then got a abu black max or somthing like that on my steelhead pole its pretty cheap at cabelas when i got mine and works great and has landed salmon trout and steelhead all with no problems.

T
the_intimidator03
The main reason I ask is because I am not familiar with casting reels. i find some work alright for casting... others not really LOL So the advatages between low profile and bigger not sure what they are. I see low profile and i think bass gear.

T
Tinker
the_intimidator03 said:
The main reason I ask is because I am not familiar with casting reels. i find some work alright for casting... others not really LOL So the advatages between low profile and bigger not sure what they are. I see low profile and i think bass gear.

You got a heck of a deal on a fine rod. I really like the Norwest Specials.

Low profile doesn't mean bass. Look at the line weight/capacity. Most will hold 150 - 160 yards of 12# monofilament and have drags rated at 15 lbs.

The round reels will work well, too - like the Abu-Garcia C4 - but new, they cost more than you said you want to spend.

If you know anyone who knows baitcasting reels, you could look at used reels. Someone familiar with the reels should be able to feel whether or not the reel is damaged or suffers from neglect.

Search the WWW, someone will have a sale on reels that might let you step up a bit and still stay within your budget.

Bass fishing is BIG BUSINESS and an awful lot of R&D and engineering goes into bass gear in all price ranges. IMHO. nothing wrong with bass gear - until you're thinking about salmon... I have friends who have Abu-Garcia Black Max low-profile reels and use them successfully. They seem smooth to me and they seem to have a reliable drag. For $50, they seem to be well worth the price.

T
the_intimidator03
oh i agree in regards to bass fishing being big business. I enjoy a bit of it myself. I need to go hit up some stores as well locally and see if i can find a deal in there.