New Allen hooks

B
bigthackara
Took the chance on some Allen hooks. They are dirt cheap, about 75% less than at the fly shops. It kills me not to support the fly shops, but I am currently fishing in leaky waders and boots with drywall screws holding the felt on.
:naughty:
They appear to be decent hooks, they look lower quality than the tiemcos I normally buy. We will see how they hold up. I landed a 28" steely the other day on a size 16 tiemco 3761 with four pound maxima.

I guess time will tell if they hold up. Anyone else using these bargain hooks?

N
nativefish
i picked up some vision hooks, pretty cheap relative to the gami i usually use.

C
ChezJfrey
bigthackara said:
... but I am currently fishing in leaky waders and boots with drywall screws holding the felt on.
:naughty:

LOL...awesome! You and I have a similar wader/boot situation. Although I don't have felt and my screws are for the fact that the bottom of the sole actually detached where it was laminated to the other sole layer above it and I had an annoying flap that I had to secure :) I tried spending more money on the waders and boots after my previous versions, but it didn't seem to make much difference and they're falling apart anyway. I gotta stop stomping around for miles and miles through brush and over rocks, I suppose...

B
bigthackara
After tying a dozen or so flys with these hooks, they are pretty ghetto. Soft, inconsistent in size, the eye isn't down enough. The barbs are very inconsistent (this doesn't bother me much).

With that being said they are dirt cheap. I guess I can't expect much for the price. I am sure I will catch lots of fish on them, but time will tell how the shanks hold up with a heavy fish in heavy current.

I will continue to search for reasonably price hook retailers since Allen dropped their premium hook line, because $8 per 25 tiemco's are not gonna fly (no pun intended) for me anymore, especially when they will be broke off on a rock all winter...

R
Roolinghills
Walmart sells "one time use" waders for $10. Yep, $10. And I'm on my third use. Honestly, they're just as good as those $70 junk waders you get at Bimart, and less frustrating when they rip. If you're taking on water and waiting to reinvest in nice ones, I'd suggest the Walmart special. ;)