Nehalem levels & such

B
Big3d
Has anyone been out near the salmonberry mouth lately? If so how does the water look? Thanks ahead of time. Also any particular reason why there is a NF SubForum but no general nehalem? oddness

P
PNW Sam
Not sure about the river levels, but the hatchery program for the Nehalem system is on the NF, and it's just hatchery strays up the mainstem. I'd assume that's why there is just a NF forum. That would make sense for steelhead, but the mainstem is open for spring and fall Chinook, so who knows.

H
halibuthitman
PNW Sam said:
Not sure about the river levels, but the hatchery program for the Nehalem system is on the NF, and it's just hatchery strays up the mainstem..
there is 800 square miles of native steel habitat in the nehalem basin, probably over 2500 natives many reaching into the 40'' class, but you can't club the **** out of them and then throw them in a big chief smoker to gag your poor relatives with.. so everyone should just go to the NF, but to answer the question all of the "up-stream" tribs and mainstem are prime-

P
PNW Sam
Hatchery fish that people can keep means more fishing pressure on the NF. I said nothing about the quality of fishing or where people should fish at. I stated a simple fact.

There is no reason why any member of this forum should be attacked for trying to offer a simple explanation, especially when the words of the attacked have been convoluted and blown out of proportion by the attacker. Chill.

H
halibuthitman
no, you said " just hatchery strays up the mainstem" that is miss information, I pointed out the fact that the rest of the river is not polluted by hatchery fish, but is full of natives, so... chill.... yourself

P
PNW Sam
"Just hatchery strays", meaning the only hatchery fish present in the mainstem are strays from the hatchery program on the NF. Yes, there are obviously natives, and a lot of them.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I said, but you went about pointing out what you disagreed with in an extremely rude way.

Good night.

H
halibuthitman
well, I opologize for your ultra sensetivety... but your 17 and thats why you addressed a question with an answer that had nothing to do with the question and most likely very little knowledge of the nehalem other than the weekly fish report... I however know from expirence that the the origonal poster said " salmonberry" and in the fact that that big native steel is what is in the front of his mind as he started his post that he most likely has heard or knows of the caliber of river the salmonberry is, or he may intend on plunking at the camp ground, I would even go so far as to guess he himself has never or rarely been down to the nehalem near beaverslide or on the salmonberry becouse he would be able to easily guess the conditions of both rivers given the recent dry spell and following rain, and would be able to use the nehalem gauge to know the flow on the Berry.... I told him "go" which is absolutely the only useful info he has recieved on this thread, so in closing, I am not quite as rude as you are young... and I have chosen to be rude... Good night